Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Hello!
    I have a client that is going to providing a single thing to sell on their website.
    It would be a service she provides. It would be billing every 2 weeks. People would have to be able to create and manage their account.
    What would be the easiest way to do this? I'm looking for a free PHP script. Thank you!

Payments would be processed through PayPal

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So is the billing going to be every 2 weeks ? I don't know if pay pal offers re-occurring billing or scheduled billing. If its a pay once, and she provides the service every 2 weeks... Different story.

If its a reoccurring billing scenario, and pay pal doesnt have an API, it's kind of a non starter.

I guess your client could log in every 2 weeks and invoice them, but that would be a pain.

Many other payment systems do offer "cycle billing" , as an option, but it's usually for large account holders, or as a "premium service", that your client would have to pay extra for.

I haven't seen any scripts ( I'm sure there are probably some out there ), that interface with a payment gateway like that, but I would suspect for that level of functionality, it won't be a free script.

I'd like to know if there were one. I have a client that has been asking for something similar, I just haven't had the time, and they aren't pushing for it yet. They bill and provide service quarterly.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I mean, PayPal can take care of the payment "subscription" as they call it. But yes, I agree this is a weird request.
    Do you think I could hack up Magento enough to make it work?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd just switch to Authorize.net and use their rebill option for it. It works and works well.

Like WZ said, let the processor handle the recurriing payment. That's their job, not the cart's.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    OK so what would be a good simple account management check out system? free

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sorry, i custom build anything that is payment related or ties into a payment processor. Luckily they still all support the asp language I code in so, I can reuse stuff I built years ago.

I personally don't recommend anyone use a "free" script when handling payment information, as everyone that wants to get into it or intercept your transactions only have to download that free code and look for weaknesses to exploit.

I've had customers tell me it didn't matter, but my take on it is this... If I used something someone else created, and it breaks or gets hacked, are they going to fix it ? NO, are they going to take responsibility for it ? NO, is THEIR credibility on the line ? NO, mine is...

Not saying the stuff I've done hasn't broken, but when a server update does break it... Because I wrote it, I can and normally do fix it before the client even knew it was broken.

That's just me though.

At least if you bought the script, you should get some sort of support for it if it breaks.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. But I'm still looking for a free solution
    Thing is, in my experience PHP doesn't change much version to version. I don't know abotu ASP or whatever maybe that changes more often.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not the language/framework you need to worry about. It's the script. The exploits that hackers tend to use are generally not specific to the language/framework itself but the measures (or lack thereof) people take to maintain the security of their programs. For example, PHP isn't (likely) insecure in and of itself, but WordPress might as well be a piece of Swiss cheese.

Like WZ said, a free downloadable solution is the lazy way out and, if/when it gets exploited, you're on the hook. I go one step further than WZ does and build all carts from scratch that I can. I can customize them however I want, and more importantly I don't have to worry about someone downloading the code because I don't share cart code with anyone, for any reason, at any time, forever and ever, amen. Or to put it in the modern pseudo-intellectual way, I have empowered myself with a bespoke scalable and robust architecture that will adapt to the ever-changing paradigms of e-Business (and am totally disgusted with myself for using the word "empowered" in a sentence without making fun of it).
    shovenose likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads