Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hello folks. Here is my message...
    • In my spare time, I will start a nonprofit hub at popocracy.org. The purpose of Popocracy is to develop alternatives to stock market corporations, starting with a nonprofit social networking site, discussion forum and internet directory.
    • Initially, Popocracy will be registered as a private business owned by myself. Conversion to a registered nonprofit organization will occur as soon as I find the appropriate people and advice to do so.
    • I welcome any suggestions about what software to use, how to organize, etc.
    • I am not a programmer nor a professional level webdesigner. I hope that some people with the right skills can help me on an I.O.U. basis. Please see my "help wanted" thread in the WDF Marketplace.

Here is my philosophy...
    • We have long had the computer and the internal combustion engine doing 90% of the work needed to support humanity. We nonetheless continue to live in stone-age fear of needless wars and economic instabilities.
    • The reason for this staggering discrepancy between our level of technology and our level of financial stability is the stock market, which is like a gigantic poker game that is always won by those with the most chips. The stock market requires that a few people end up with 90% of any financial gains. This in turn causes a relentless trend toward a feudal system, where the majority of people must work for Walmart type corporations.
    • An obvious alternative to the stock market is the nonprofit corporation as pioneered by "Newman's Own." In the future, all corporations should be either 50% for-profit, 10% for-profit or completely nonprofit. This will still enable an inventive entrepreneurs to earn hundreds of millions of dollars. However, it should not be so easy for them and their great-grandchildren to continue to make billions forever while doing nothing.
    • Nobody needs to convince people to change, nor do we need any legal changes. We only need to create nonprofit corporations that are competitive with for-profit corporations. Today for the first time in history, it is possible to do so, with limited resources. Due to the internet, some of the most powerful Wall Street corporations had a small beginning, and can be out-competed by others with a small beginning: Facebook, Ebay, Amazon and Google.
    • Therefore, I am starting a nonprofit website at Popocracy.org, starting with a discussion forum, social networking, and internet directory. I welcome any suggestions and ideas.

Here are my current plans...
    1. Unlike other nonprofit hubs such as Wikipedia and DMOZ, Popocracy will be designed to earn profits and to compete with for-profit businesses. Unlike hybrid nonprofit projects such as Wordpress, Popocracy will not be a promotional vehicle for a corporation whose owners make millions of dollars with no sharing requirements.
    2. An online directory would be the simplest starting point for Popocracy. However, social networking has become a core feature of life at every level. Therefore, I think some attempt needs to be made immediately in the direction of social networking.
    3. The competitive advantage of Popocracy is not its software, but its pro-democratic philosophy.
    4. I do not think it is wise to start with an expensive customized platform. Nor is it necessary to mimic Facebook. However, what is most essential is to interface with Facebook. I.e., the first ideal is that the average person will have a Popocracy blog, on which he can easily invite Facebook members to comment. I.e., the idea is that people can stop maintaing a Facebook page, but still keep in touch with friends who belong to Facebook.
    5. Therefore, currently I plan to install a Wordpress blogging community. Then to install whatever Facebook plug-ins are available. Then if necessary, to hire a programmer to develop advanced Facebook interfaces.
    6. I see no point to developing a totally custom system until after a certain level of popularity and income are achieved. When that happens, then regardless of the initial platform, the members can be migrated to the new platform. Therefore, the emphasis for an initial platform is only to be affordable, workable and user-friendly.
    7. However, I am not very familiar with Facebook plug-ins, nor with Buddypress, nor with JomSocial, and other alternatives. So if anyone can suggest a better way to start than a Wordpress blog community--or any other suggestions--please tell me! Thank you anyone.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This isn't a thought on the technology behind your project, but rather the philosophy. Quite frankly, you're asking for a lot..and as someone who has worked on projects of a large scope in the past (and who happens to be working on a large-scope project in the present), you're going to have a difficult time finding who you want as much as it is what you want. By that, I mean you need to find someone that will not only be able to understand the technology end of things, but understand the philosophy behind your greater goal and be on board with it.

Most developers (and you'll need developers more than anything on this project, including designers) are rather isolated individuals. The majority focus on code and cash, not causes and conscience. Having read how you want to pay for it, I'd suggest possibly shelving it for a few months until you can roll together enough cash since even a developer with a moral interest in making society a better place is still going to want to get paid in the process.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thank you for the good advice GAME. I basically agree. (""...I'd suggest possibly shelving it for a few months until you can roll together enough cash..."") But how much money are you talking about? And if I get that kind of money, who should I go to, and what should I ask for?

Meanwhile the best way to find the right people is to get something going that attracts that kind of people. So my plan is to get a Wordpress blogsite going that announces the idea and philosophy and invites anyone to join. I am ready to do that. But before I do that, I decided to post this WDF thread in case some people might offer some advice like the following.
    • "Hey, don't start with Wordpress, start with XXXXX. It is better because YYYYY."
    • Or... "Hey, I am not an idealist but a programmer with some unique ideas for a popular website. I can build this for $___ thousand. If you might come up with that level of financing, let me know and I will tell you about it."
    • Or... "Hey, I like your quasi-nonprofit business model. But I want to make a good salary and I would be more interested in a different kind of startup focus for Popocracy.org. If you are willing to do things more my way, maybe we can work together. As follows... etc..."
    • Or... ""I'd suggest possibly shelving it for a few months until you can roll together enough cash... If and when you can come up with $____ thousand then here is what you should do..."
    • Or... etc...

By the way, I mentioned my ideas a few months ago at places like OccupyWallStreet and Craigslist forums. The few people who were interested did not know anything about even operating a blog. What a waste of time! So I decided that the places to start discussions are WDF and WHT. Here everyone has basic CMS skills, so that if anybody is interested, it might at least become useful to have found them!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To be totally honest, I haven't given your cost issue a whole lot of thought since I'm on vacation this week, but since you're ultimately going to want something custom, you're going to need a developer that will have the ability to at the very least customize whatever you decide to use (personally, I wouldn't use any of the "open sores" CMSes, but that's not what you want). I would suggest that would cost you somewhere in the high 4 to low 5 digits...high 4 if you're lucky and find the developer with both the skills you require and the willingness to work for less than market rate for a bigger purpose. Realistically, you're looking low 5. Again, though, I haven't given this all that much thought.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    It seems good news to me that a successful platform might be constructed for $10k to $25k. Because I might be able to come up with that level of financing within a year or two--or maybe right away with term payments. If so, the problem is not so much the cost of building the site, as knowing what to build. I do not have the experience to work things out from an economic perspective. It would be ideal if I can find a programmer who has some idea of the economics involved, and happens to have his own original ideas for a popular website. So far as I am concerned, the nature of this initial site could be different from anything I had thought of, so long as it seems well thought out and to have strong economic potential.

I.e., it is one thing to start a blogging community with freeware and not clearly knowing what I am doing. It is another thing to start out with $10k to $25k of custom software. But if someone can convince me that they do have a clear plan to follow, that is economically viable, then I am certainly willing and eager to try and come up with the $10k to $25k.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    P.S. I already have an economically viable business model, for my local community, online at Verhampshire.org. This eventually should will help me to find associates interested in developing Popocracy. Meanwhile--if this discussion does not yield any better ideas--I will simply use Popocracy to set up a multisite Wordpress community, an internet directory, and a Xenforo with subforums of my favorite topics.

Remove Ads