Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I think GetSimple CMS, while having some small bugs and lacking some important features, is the future of the CMS. It's light and rather than trying to include every feature under the sun by default (like WP does), it has almost no additional features; there are plugins for that!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 242002
    I've been as big a critic as anyone of WordPress, and I'm not even going to bother to deny that. I actually have made many of the same criticisms as shovenose has. It's bloated, it's difficult to customize, and two of the three sites I've seen hacked over 13 years have been the two Wordpress sites I've worked on (including a bizarre hack involving a group of fundamentalists and the sale of QUasi-religious material that people RAN away from) I utterly refuse to touch it for the security reason alone.

There actually is some evidence to back this up. So shovenose isn't really wrong in his criticism of WordPress...it does have issues, and will continue to have them. kirman, if you use it, you're going to have to keep it up to date.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...dangerous-list

Now that I've said all of that...shovenose, you gotta tone it down a bit, man. I get that you're passionate about the things you like and that you hate. I get why you're passionate about the things you like and hate. But if you're going to be that passionate, be prepared to back it up in more than a sound byte or don't say anything at all.

EDIT: Like WZ said, you also have to watch how things are viewed when you have a vested interest or at least a perceived one. It's hard to tell when you actually believe in something because you've spent so much time slamming competition. It's starting to sound like you're crying wolf.

As far as GetSimple is concerned, I have no opinion of it because I haven't used it. However, I have the same concerns I would about WordPress i.e. that it's open-source, "community supported", doesn't seem to have a long-range revenue plan, and unlike WordPress primarily supported by a developer with a divided attention span. The real acid test would start if/when GetSimple reaches say 10-15% of WP's share. In the meantime, I probably won't have a reason to use it unless a client insists upon it (which is unlikely).

This is one of the reasons I always say DIY first, build it the way you want it, and then look at something like WP or GetSimple after if at all. Keep in mind, too, that me saying DIY means I gain absolutely nothing from it.
    I understand you haven't tried GetSimple CMS. Could you please just take 5 minutes and try it Maybe you will like it, maybe you won't...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What reason do I have to try it? I'd need something I could use it for, and I don't have that.

Like I said, if someone pays me and insists on using it, I will...but I generally won't use something else when I'm capable of building something on my own.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 241997
    Yes, WordPress sucks. It's not opinion; it's a fact.
    Shovenose, you just can't continue to put down everything that you're not personally involved with. It doesn't add to the conversation in any useful way, and it's getting tedious.

It certainly does not fit in to what this forum is about. We're here to help each other, in a polite and supportive way. We (the mods) have been very tolerant for quite a while now, but it's getting worse, and it has to stop.

This post of yours has been reported, and that's pretty serious. There has been a call to ban you.

I am posting this as your one and only warning - if you can't add something positive to the conversation, keep out of it.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Just for the record, what other blogging / news stuff can i use rather than word and the one thats being debated?

I have a blogger account but im unsure how to embed it.
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    ah ha!

Ive managed to get it all working by using rssinclude.com fab,,, however if you visit

www.swiftpixel.co.uk/blog/ you will see i have put 2 posts up...

now when u visit my test page with the feed on..

www.swiftpixel.co.uk/test.php

you only see 1 post :S any ideas?

cheers
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kirman, post: 242015
    Just for the record, what other blogging / news stuff can i use rather than word and the one thats being debated?

I have a blogger account but im unsure how to embed it.
    You're right...that's what we're debating. I'd go DIY and avoid the whole open source thing, but that's me and I'm clearly in the minority.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    How about...
    -Drupal
    -Joomla
    -Typo3

Those are three names I came up with going through the auto-installer in one of my cPanels. I hope you find them helpful!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have a bit of Joomla experience and some Typo3 experience, and wouldn't recommend either of those. Joomla is an absolute bugger to customize, and Typo3 is incredibly awkward to work with. Took me about 10 times as long to "edit a page" as it would have for me to code it myself.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Alright never mind then lol, how about Drupal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads