Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: CMS/Script Help

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a friend who's rebuilding her whole website (well over 100 pages). She would like to have one, that's easy to follow, lets her have certain themes with certain features in a sidebar, and some having multiple sidebars and some only with one (depending on layout width) Also, it will (when made) have multiple themes, so allowing the visitor choose the themes is preferred, and lastly, it needs to be free. Can anyone recommend something to fit these needs?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Sounds like Wordpress to me - I don't know of anything else that's free that will do all that.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    how can she set up the sidebars to show different features by theme? the stuff in for sidebars would be a search bar, themes list, login form, external content (like gallery) links, networking (like badges/links for facebook & twitter) without using them specifically in WP's widget area (in some themes she'd like to set them up differently (not different orders, but like some themes, she'd like the theme chooser to be a list and in some a dropdown

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What you're asking for is some really custom scripting. Sure you can hack the crap out of a theme and create some selective scripts to accomplish what you want, but the first time you update the WP install or child themes... All that custom stuff goes away.

Depending on the themes you choose to use there are different levels of functionality for things like your side bar... Since they are all different... It would be hard to tell you which one to look for.

As for allowing visitors to change themes ... Not understanding why ... But again custom stuff... Which is not free.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd agree with WZ. The big problem with your request is that there are themes (as in the plural). Usually the CMSes only allow for one theme per install, which makes sense since the vast majority of layouts only require one theme (for consistent navigation, etc.)

If you're going to do anything, do it in stages. Do the site with one theme, and then later on use the profit generated to develop the other themes.

The other alternative, and I happen to be working on a similar concept for a client of mine, is to allow for the multiple themes in a custom layout right off the top using include files (or the equivalent in whatever language/framework you're most comfortable with) and then adding in the content after. In my client's case, they're going to have a "winter" theme and a "summer" theme, and the products presented will be based on the time of year. They even have two different colored logos for this purpose.

No matter how you cut it, though, you're going to have to put in some effort yourself since you've run into one of the limitations of the third-party CMSes.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I got Drupal to do what I want, though it's being and pain and I honestly don't like the interface. I tried to go back to WP (even though it would never look how I want), now WP is being a pain. No matter if it's made in Artisteer or downloaded from wordpress.org, whenever I install a theme (it can have one sidebar or two, doesn't matter) when I view the site, the sidebar(s) disappear. Also in the widgets area, I set the main sidebar like:
    Search
    Themes
    Login
    Archives

And in some (the ones installed defaultly even) some of the widgets disappear when you go to view

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I edited your post to make it black, Helpless-Laughter. It was too hard to read as a grey. Hope you don't mind that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't mind at all, I don't know how it set as Grey. I even tried to make it black with the text color icon, but it stayed grey

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No worries. We have the ability to edit them as mods. It's all good.

Remove Ads