Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    WDF community, I require your help.

Backstory: I'm the NCOIC of the Electronic Warfare section at Tinker AFB. I am one of 6 NCOICs in charge of their individual sections. I have been tasked with coming up with a way to track personnel on a calendar so that we have quick access to appointments, leave, etc. Basically, if I don't figure out how to do this with Sharepoint, our boss will be making us maintain yet another spreadsheet for this. I'll spare the details, but know with 300 personnel, keeping that in a spreadsheet will be a black hole of time I need to spend doing other, more important tasks, like fixing airplanes.

That said, here's what I need: Each row will represent one person. The columns will represent individual days. I need to make color coded, clickable event types so that when you click on a date for a particular person, it will pop up with the details. I'm working with Sharepoint 2007.

In my previous shop, we had this up and running on an ancient version of Sharepoint, and along with the above, each day could be clicked to show all events for that day, and each person could be clicked to show all upcoming events for that person, as well as personnel information.

Please help. American tax dollars will be wasted if I have to do this the way supervision wants it done. Also, my brain might bleed.

Thanks.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sorry to hear that..

Wish I could help, but I use exchange shared calendars for exactly what you're doing.

At one of my clients, I setup a shared calendar for each shift... Using the AD, I give certain people access to edit and manage... When a shift supervisor needs to edit it, they can... Others ( that have acces ) , can view the calendar, but only the ones with permission can add/edit/delete ... They only have about 100 per shift, but it works for them... They also have a shared calendar amongst only the 4 shift supervisors and HR, where if a person is late, absent... Etc... It's noted on that calendar for review purposes. Permissions are set so they ( supervisors) can only edit their own entries, but if a person switches crews... Their attendance records follow them...

I looked at sharepoint years ago, before setting this up... It has builtin calendars, just don't know if it has that granular of detail...

I'd have to go with an online web-based calendar before going the sharepoint route ... But that's just me.

Sorry, can't be much help here... Never caught the sharepoint bug.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I appreciate it. We're using the Outlook calendar with Sharepoint integration as a band-aid fix, but the final item has to work as described. I've seen it done, just not sure how.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What version of sharepoint ? I know you can share sharepoint calendars in outlook...

I might take a look on one of my corporate clients servers that has sharepoint installed.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well, no luck... I didn't want to break their stuff and don't have sharepoint loaded on any of my own servers. But from plinking around with it a bit... I'm thinking its a template that's got to be downloaded... I didn't have much time today, but from a little reading, you're not the only one who want this functionality.

Sorry cant be much help on this one...

I'd still lean towards a web based thing ( if he forces you into a spreadsheet )...

You can always just maintain it on the web, then export it out into excel and send it in when needed.

One of my clients has about 40+ reports that they do monthly... But because accounting uses spreadsheets.. I bring the data into a web view... At the end of the month, when they have to submit their excel spreadsheets to finance... They hit a button on the page and I generate the excel spreadsheet based on the report.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I appreciate the help. I've bought myself some time with a band-aid fix,so I have time to figure it out. I have seen this done before, it's just a matter of figuring out how.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I'd ask over at http://www.experts-exchange.com or a sharepoint users group on Google / LinkedIn / wherever.

Sharepoint is EVIL.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 244687
    Sharepoint is EVIL.
    It is, but it's the tool I've been given. It works pretty well for basic intranet stuff, though.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Remove Ads