Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Licence, is theme modify and resell legal?

Member #

Licence, is theme modify and resell legal?

Hello!
    i want to start web design as freelancer. I can install and use most CMS systems. I prefer systems which have css themes so i can easy modify them to my needs.
    Its quite hard to code a responsive theme for cross browser/device, or stuff like
    "Coded with validXHTML, CSS and tested for WCAG Priority 2 Conformance."

For now i would like to use solid pre-made themes to build on-top of them.
    The problem is the deep licence jungle.
    For Wordpress i found this very good framework theme called Underscores: Underscores | A Starter Theme for WordPress .
    Its a bit raw to start.
    Can some one suggest themes or licences wich are free to modify and resell them in my webdesign service?
    I dont mind the CMS, also non-CMS variants would be interessting.

For my own promotional website i have found this free GPL theme for wordpress: Boosan WordPress Theme (Free & Premium) - simplyWPsimplyWP (the cost version of the same theme has the same licence) its legal to modify it in any way and use it comercial, but only as client, not for reselling, as the author responded to my request.

Thanks for your answers!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'll answer your question the only way it can be answered..."don't".

Yes, it's "easy" to modify themes. But what happens if you use a theme that a competitor of your client uses as well? That dilutes the marginal effectiveness of both sites and does no one any good. And if you find coding things hard, then you're not ready to be a web designer.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    The Underscores theme is free and GPL, you're free to modify and redistrubute it however you want. Every theme listed on WordPress ? Free WordPress Themes has the same license as well.

I do agree with the above poster that you should be well-versed in coding before offering serious web design services. And be upfront to your clients that you are using a "base" theme so they're not surprised if they see a similar site running the same theme.

Remove Ads