Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By DC Web Design
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: looking for cms/website software

Member #

looking for cms/website software

I have a friend who is starting a website to sell boat motor parts. He doesnt want a full e-commerce website. He wants a website that lists all the parts for sale, prices, and images. He wants a site like
    Tohatsu Outboard Parts and Accessories from Defender
    but without the cart function. He wants people to call him to place their orders so he can sell them upgrades and other features. Does anyone have any suggestion for a website software to create this kind of site? Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd suggest your friend rethinks his logic. And yes, I've got reasons.

First of all, a cart can be programmed to upsell upgrades, etc. Even most of the third-party carts, as inflexible as they are, can do this. Here's one that can: Shopping Cart Software & Ecommerce Solutions From VP-ASP .

Second, he's got a competitor that's selling online. That means the bar is set at "ease and convenience of ordering online with the option of calling an 800 line as opposed to being forced to use the phone." Your friend doesn't take orders online, he's going to lose some customers to Tohatsu and anyone else who does.

Third, that site was built by engineers. Without getting into a long, technical explanation, the page extensions and the code used suggest strongly that the site was engineered. That may seem intimidating from the standpoint of your friend, but in this case that's a good thing. We're looking at a site full of somewhat bloated, engineer code and product category pages that spill out for miles on end. A decent cart developer could take these guys on, exploit the weaknesses that this cart has, and build something that will at least be competitive...with a good developer and a little luck, the developer could eat these guys for lunch and spit them out to make room for dinner.

So yeah, tell your friend that he should play with the big boys. I know that's not really the answer you were expecting to hear, but it's the best answer I'm capable of giving you.
    Ronald Roe and AlphaMare like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    You might as well just make a static HTML/CSS site if you're not going to take advantage of modern e-commerce technologies.

You can always have a phone number for supplementary support use, but relying on it 100% for website sales is simply not scalable, and just doesn't make any sense with better, more automated alternatives available.

What if the website gets really popular, and the phone starts ringing off the hook? When customers get a busy signal, they'll just go to your competitors and order through the actual e-commerce website. It's what online consumers expect nowadays.

I would seriously advise your friend against that route, for the above reason.
    TheGAME1264 and AlphaMare like this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Ditto both of the above, and add this: gone are the days where businesses have websites just because it's the new thing to do. Businesses setting up new websites generally have sites that do something. In this case, making online ordering available. If he would really rather just have them call, he could offer an incentive to do so, like a discount. That way, the ball's in the customer's court, and they can still do things how they prefer.
    DC Web Design and AlphaMare like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Third, that site was built by engineers. Without getting into a long, technical explanation, the page extensions and the code used suggest strongly that the site was engineered.
    Oh, god. I looked at the source. I threw up in my mouth a little.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's Java Server Pages + engineers for you, Ron.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That's Java Server Pages + engineers for you, Ron.
    The new math:
    Java Server Pages + engineers = ugly and really badly coded
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Believe it or not, it gets worse.

Smart GWT Showcase

Remove Ads