Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Need Advice on Redesign of my Site

Member #

Need Advice on Redesign of my Site

My site is crateinsider.com. I originally worked with a web designer who built it in Frontpage and put my site in iframes. I have since learned how impractical that truly is, especially when using a CMS. What I would like to do is redo my site using a more SEO-friendly platform. I want it to look exactly as it does now, but have better functionality. Since I sell advertising spots, it is important that I be able to recreate the scroll at the top and the ads along the sides (they are different on different pages).

Regarding the design, I realize that it looks very busy to the mainstream, but in the racing industry, anything less would be considered boring.

Portions of my site (Forums and Tech) are done with VBulletin software. Since they are iframed in, viewers can't share links. I have enjoyed the usability of a CMS when creating articles in the tech section, but I am not married to VBulletin.

Other sections (News, New Products, etc.) are all input manually, which is far more tedious.

Can you recommend a software solution that would help me reach the goal of getting away from iframes and incorporating a CMS while preserving the advertising functionality?

Thank you,
    Kate Dillon

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Are you paying for vBulletin?

I dont really think your site is too busy. I agree it looks like it suits the racing culture.. But id still rethink some of the layout.. The gradient on the left doesn't look good to me.. Honestly a color to solid black gradient of any color just doesnt feel like modern design to me.. Id replace it with a solid color or a more subtle gradient. The white to orange gradient as well.. This may just be opinion but i dont like color to solid white.. I DO like the gradient in the logo from orange to yellow tho.. I also dont really feel like a seeif font matches the theme too well. It looks to serious in my opinion. Id replace it with a san serif or if you like serifs id look at slab serifs. The "why subscribe?" Button should be relocated to a better place as well. Seems like that would be an important element to you seeing its arguing your importance it but you have it sort of hidden or less noticeable..

I know you didnt ask for a critique regarding design just thought id share my opinions with you on that as well. As far as a recommended CMS, id look at Joomla. I prefer to hand code sites and hevent ever worked with a CMS but from the very little ive heard on the other options that would be my first try at a cms should i need one.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    crateinsider likes this.

Member #
    Yes, I paid for VBulletin, but am not that happy with it. I keep trying new things to keep the spammers away, but it just ends up keeping my real customers out of the forums. In the redesign, I plan to eliminate the forums altogether and replace it with an FAQ section.

Thank you for the honest feedback and suggestions. I will definitely consider replacing the gradients.

Remove Ads