Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Newbie needs an education plan for very specific purpose. Please help!

Hello everyone,

Not sure this is in the right category but seems most likely to me. I want to create a website which includes the following functionality:

a database with a list of pupils, years, classes etc...
    a list of skill achievements in sub categories in different subjects
    a way of assigning these skills to pupils as they acquire them by using drag and drop technology. So the screen would be divided into different set areas eg - {can't add up, can add up quite well, can add up brilliantly). The screen would also show icons representing each individual pupil and with names attached which could then be swiftly sorted into these sets using drag and drop.

I would also like to be able to press and hold any pupil icon and up would pop a menu of subjects around him or her. Selecting the subject would then show all the achievements in that subject for that pupil. I would also like to be able to show all achievements at once and to output all achievements to a word document.

But where to start! Would it be best to use a CMS like wordpress, Joomla or Dropal? Would I use something like Createjs. Should I learn MySQL or PHP etc?

I know I have an enormous amount of learning ahead of me but can you point me in the right direction of the technology / products I would need to learn to use on order to carry this out most efficiently?

Thank you!!!

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Your requirement is complex. I don't think you can finish it with any CMS, like wp, joomla or drupal, other if you know how to write extensions.
    To handle database you have to know basics about databases (organisation, relations, queries).
    To handle data you will need php and mysql.
    To display data in an organised way you have to know html and css.
    To handle events (drag and drop, mouse press and hold, for instance) you have to know javascript (jquery).

Maybe to try less complex website.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Try starting small.. Its going to be hard to get it all up and running at once. If i were you id pick my priority features and build the site around those. Then i would begin to integrate the other features.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Remove Ads