Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Which E commerce option would be best for our needs?

Basically we want to build a ecommerce type platform that will:

1. Allow basic shopping basket experience for general public visitors (very standard stuff);

2. plus create a account login area where wholesalers and independent shop owners can go and get a completely different pricing, and offer ddp and cnf to wherever they are in the world.

So in reality 2 exactly the same shops that have different pricing and postal options for the general public and wholesale?

I have used WP Woo commerce before but this doesn't seem to meet my needs, OpenCart has been recommended, any other option or advice would be great, my boss is expecting me to have all the answers but Ecommerce is not my thing.

Ash

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi, Ash.

I use Drupal. There are two available modules that you can use for the shopping module.

1. Ubercart
    2. Commerce

Depending on your background, you may need to study Drupal first. These modules are very flexible in terms of meeting your requirements.

Hope this helps!

Member #
    Thanks, though I've looked at Drupal before and a stand alone E commerce will be far more intuitive I would imagine?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't know what DDP and CNF are, and I've been building e-commerce sites for almost 15 years. So before I make any recommendation at all, my question would be: what are they?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Delivered Duty Paid and Cost of Freight, its that we need to have separate postage type control and pricing for the wholesale area.

Its knowing the best way to deal with the 2 distinct types of customer.

The prices would be the same for each product for all wholesalers, the postage may depend slightly on location, but in the main we want to offer free postage and duties for all wholesalers.

Hope that makes sense?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahhh...I'm guessing that's an across the pond term. Never heard it before, like I said. In Canada (and in North America) we use FOB:Origin and FOBestination. Makes sense.

If you absolutely had to pick a third-party cart, the one I would personally go with as a Windows/Microsoft sort would be VP-ASP. It's pretty easy to customize, the code is relatively clean (although I personally had to make several mods for one client that took it well out of VP-ASP territory), and the back end is for the most part easy to work with. I don't know if you'll get the pricing for your two specific shipping options in there...I haven't tried anything like that myself. However, you can try it before you buy it to see if it works.

Now...keep in mind that I said if you absolutely had to pick a third-party cart. The big issue I see is going to be your wholesaler / reseller pricing. That's something most carts don't handle or if they do, not particularly well. It's usually "here's the price for one product, and that's it." They're getting better that way...kind of. But they're still pretty flaky. The only way you determine whether or not it works for your specific set of circumstances is "download it, try it, and repeat steps 1-2 for something else if the cart doesn't work until you find something that does." In other words, good old-fashioned pain-in-the-a$$ trial and error may or may not work.

This is the major reason I recommend custom carts whenever possible. There's usually at least one recommendation from a site owner for which no plugin or cart or script exists and thus would have to be made. My VP-ASP client, for example, has a "want list" as part of their site that they use to gather up requests for products both generally and specifically. The general requests get added to a mailing list, and the specific requests are tracked separately. So you're going to run into something that will eventually take the cart out of the realm of "third party" and into the realm of "DIY". That's the nature of a successful business and site.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads