Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Will a CMS slow my page down?

Hi guys,

Will a CMS like Wordpress or Drupal make my webpages (on a blog or e-commerce site) load slower than if I just use basic HTML to put pictures and text on my webpages?

Also, is there some app with an easy, CMS like interface where I just enter the text and tell it where I want my pictures to go and any animations I want (e.g., have a blurred picture get in focus when the cursor hovers over it), and it spits out the HTML code and everything in a nice folder to upload to my server?

This is assuming I have plenty of free resources on a VPS; I assume a CMS puts more CPU load on the server, right?

Btw, is there any place on this forum where I can hire web designers and pay them for each job? Thanks.

-EDIT: by "CMS-like app" I meant one where I can just select one of many outlines, add my content, and can display a different random article I have in my webpage to keep the reader interested.
    Last edited by genealogyxie; Jan 27th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    With any CMS there is going to be some overhead, and that will put more strain on the server, and slow load times, but with a basic wordpress install on a vps, you should have nothing to worry about, generally load times aren't that much longer (depending on theme and plugins sub second difference). And the wordpress editor will allow you to insert pictures and such without having to do the actual coding, but if you want to completely change the way your website looks your going to need to find a matching theme, or make one yourself (which honestly isn't that hard either). If you need any web designers to do the job, you can make a post in the WDF Marketplace.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Wordpress or really any system has a resource cost associated with it. The price is all in how it's put together.

With a good caching plugin, and a well thought out install WordPress can be really light weight. Just pay close attention to your plugins.

Hope that helps,
    -J

Remove Ads