Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

new way to create a forum like website.

i am working with a forum site. i am helping them re design everything. their site needs to keep the whole "message board" feel because thats all it is. a bunch of topics, threads..its one big community. i am trying to come up with a way to keep all of those things, but completely change the way it looks. i know you can get custom styles, themes, ext..but i guess my question is how would you recommend designing a website that acts like a forum, but has the ability to look and feel however i want it to.

for example this blog- Alex Beadon Be Your Own Boss

the web design on that site is amazing to me. the textures, the placement of everything. i know that is a blog, but how would you suggest creating a forum/message board type of site that can allow me to create custom EVERYTHING..even down to the emoji's haha

i hope this makes sense. i come from a family of software/program engineers so im low key ashamed that i even have to ask haha, but its hard to ask when i dont really know how to explain it..i just see how i want it in my head but cant exactly figure out how to make it come to life.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you so much!

noelle

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You shouldn't be ashamed. This is a design question not a programming question. Software/program engineers typically do not hold much design knowledge.

To answer your question, you probably can't. Forums need a certain structure to be useful. Recreating it can cause huge issues with users trying to understand whats going on. I said you probably can't because its not unrealistic, it would just require design knowledge and a creative mind. I cant think of a way id recreate a forum to still hold on to its effectiveness. Personally i like the fact that i can go to different forums and although the rules/topics/ect may all be different, but the structure is familiar.

Now, you can redesign the forum to match the page you showed. That wouldn't be too difficult with the correct images but it would still "look" like a forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    You shouldn't be ashamed. This is a design question not a programming question. Software/program engineers typically do not hold much design knowledge.

To answer your question, you probably can't. Forums need a certain structure to be useful. Recreating it can cause huge issues with users trying to understand whats going on. I said you probably can't because its not unrealistic, it would just require design knowledge and a creative mind. I cant think of a way id recreate a forum to still hold on to its effectiveness. Personally i like the fact that i can go to different forums and although the rules/topics/ect may all be different, but the structure is familiar.

Now, you can redesign the forum to match the page you showed. That wouldn't be too difficult with the correct images but it would still "look" like a forum.

how would you suggest creating a forum that is completely the way i want it? lets say i wanted it to haeve the same look and feel as the site i posted. (thats not my site. just using an example)..

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Try figuring out what it is that you like about this site first. What is it that you want to replicate.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sorry to appear intrusive.....but seems to me the answer is in the site you wanna replicate, right at the bottom.

She appears to be using a "Professional Commercial Theme"

2015 Alex Beadon|ProPhoto Photographer Blog by NetRivet Sites

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noelle View Post
    how would you suggest creating a forum that is completely the way i want it? lets say i wanted it to have the same look and feel as the site i posted. (thats not my site. just using an example)..
    It depends on the flexibility of the forum software you use. Most modern platforms allow you to add custom themes, or at a minimum, edit the default theme. With a flexible system, and a strong knowledge of CSS, you can usual replicate the look you want.

So I think the first step would be to evaluate several forum platforms to see which gives the greatest flexibility to customize the design.

Remove Ads