Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

What CMS would be best for the following sites?

Hi guys, I have experience with C# and Java, but none with web development and CMSs for now, I have enough time to learn what is needed however. I would like to inquire your opinion on what free CMS would be best to use for the following 2 sites, separately of course. My only requirement for the CMSs is that there are good video tutorials for them, as I find this to be fastest way for me to learn something new.

1.An online library where anyone can publish his works - books, stories, comics or any other form of written content. They will be free to download, but authors can receive donations for them, from which the site will take a small commission. So basically something like a book store but with no shopping cart, with donations, users can upload books and receive money. Users can also invite others to publish their works and receive 1% of their donation - something like a very basic referral system.
    This one will probably require a lot of custom work too, but still which CMS would give me the best start to work with?

2.A combined news and deck sharing site for a digital trading card game. Something like Hearthpwn, but simpler.

Member #
    Narrowed it down to 3 - Umbraco, Orchard or Nopcommerce would be best in your opinion?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Neither of the sites you describe is a "content management" problem. Both would require specific custom functionality.

It's possible that, if you choose a very widely supported CMS, you might find existing plugins that at least come close to your needs.

If not, it means custom coding. At that point, I think what you would be looking for is an Application Framework. not a CMS (Google the difference).

As far as Umbraco, Orchard or Nopcommerce, I would probably not use any of them. In the open source community, there are big advantages to choosing from among the most widely used platforms. They have the most active developers, and the largest set of plugins and extensions. And of course, you'll find the most training materials for the most popular systems.

Member #
    Thank you for your help, I would prefer a CMS, exactly because I have no experience in web development, I think it would be easier to write plugins in .NET than writing the whole thing from scratch(basically with my experience writing just the custom functionality seems better than writing the whole thing), but as I said I have zero experience in web development, so please if you think otherwise tell me why you think so and what i should use to build those two sites

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Let's go back to basics.

A Content Management System (CMS) is a tool that makes it easy to update and manage a website. By adding plugins, you can even extend the functionality of the site.

However, if you need to write you own custom code, the CMS doesn't really help with that.

A web application framework, on the other hand, is intended to facilitate writing web applications. It provides the basic architecture, as well as a lot of built-in capabilities and building blocks.

Now, here's something else you should know, whether you work with a CMS or a Framework: most web tools are built around PHP. Also, while there was once a balance between the Microsoft IIS and Linux/LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) worlds, LAMP has left IIS in the dust:

Usage Statistics and Market Share of Web Servers for Websites, July 2015

So if you are serious about web development, long term, you're going to want to come up to speed on LAMP.

Having said that, I notice that you have a JAVA background. There are some pretty good Java web application frameworks. Do a little research on Google and you'll find a number of them reviewed and compared. Given your background, that might be the easiest path for you.

Remove Ads