Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Browser compatibility (CMS) giving me headaches......how to resolve?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Browser compatibility (CMS) giving me headaches......how to resolve?

Hi All,
    I created a CMS (Wordpress site) my 2nd WP attempt so far (for my daughter), still in development stages - Chauvira and I'm have a trying time with browser compatibility. I tend to overly use Firefox as my default browser and I was just patting myself on the back when I got a rude shock, as I observed the site in IE & Chrome, the writing was all over the w̶a̶l̶l̶ page...!
    That was with the main content centered....IE & Chrome would display the posts well into the right side (over the "writing area"), so I had to decrease the left margin considerably....so it displays fine in all browsers...but then I have a about 40 - 50 px margin on the right & it kinda effects the look of the page!
    Any suggestions or tips on how to correct from you more experienced or knowledgeable folks out there?

I would appreciate a solution as I have a very personal interest in presenting her this site (I'm divorced and haven't seen her for 6 x years...)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    First off you created a Wordpress site not a CMS, the CMS is Wp, more specifically the System used to Manage your Content. This obviously isn't a big deal just thought I would clear it up for you.

The browser compatibility issue could be a number of things. The first thing I'd check is if your css needs any browser prefixes. To check this you can go to CanIUse.com (i believe thats the URL, I have it bookmarked so cant remember for sure). I am on my phone so I cant view the code. I will try and look when i get a chance but I noticed i say that and then have a bad habit of forgetting.

Your site loads extremely slow, you may want to look into that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    St_Elmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In your CSS, add this:
    Code:
    article {width: 710px;}
    I can't see what specifically is causing your issue as WP has a tendency to create kludge code, but this should solve it.

Good luck with your daughter!
    St_Elmo likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi Folks....thanks very much for the advice...I took both you guys advice....made some adjustments to the CSS (used a Custom CSS plugin) and it now seems OK.
    The slowness is due to the fact I'm kinda on a shared hosting, most basic package (1$ per month), will upgrade later once I've upped my skills and have the site functioning correctly...Thanks guys...

Remove Ads