Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CMS website

Member #

CMS website

I want to build my own website. Do I need a CMS?

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    It all depends on your need for having a website.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    What kind of website is required? Is it informational, e commerce etc.? There are multiple CMS available and based on your requirements, perfect CMS can be selected.

Member #
    Thank you very much. I want to build an informational website. Please suggest me which CMS is best?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariasm View Post
    I want to build my own website. Do I need a CMS?
    Your question cannot be answered without more information. What is your experience - have you ever built a website before? Do you know anything about coding? What about the basics - HTML, CSS, javascript?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The first thread was mildly amusing. The second one annoys me. So I'm going to call BS.

Why do I call BS?

1) You come into a web design forum when you have "no programming background" and no other indicator of your background and you know of the existence of a CMS without knowing whether or not you even need one. People with "no programming background" that are designers at least know the major CMSes, even if they don't know what they can or can't do.

2) People who aren't designers aren't not going to show up in a web design forum.

3) You're from India. This is the type of brainless generic question that a lot of Indian designers/developers/SEOs/internet marketers ask and that usually leads to either equally brainless generic answers from South/Southeast Asia or the obscure tag team link drop for a CMS that no one has ever heard of.

Anyone trying the former should consider this the only warning I'm going to give that I'll ban, and anyone trying the latter should consider this the only warning I'm going to give that I'll ban.

Neither is helpful, and neither can address the bigger issues that Stu and Matt quite correctly pointed out i.e. that we know nothing about the OP's background or the site that the CMS is intended for.

So...what is this intended for, and what do you want the CMS to accomplish? No generic answers, please. Actual details. Things that would require more than six brain cells to come up with.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Sorry, but I join this forum site to gain the knowledge regarding web design. I think this site is best to acquire the knowledge. I am not expert and I don't know more about CMS website I know only we can build the website using cms and I want to build my own website with the help of cms thats why i asked this question.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    You asked a question. I gave you an answer, being more information is needed. You provided "I want to build an informational website". This is far from informative. Based on your lack of web experience, and the serious lack of information you provided, I guess you are not actually interested in properly building an awesome website yourself.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not a matter of being an expert or not being an expert. It's a matter of having a specific goal vs. a general vague statement that may or may not imply a goal. Telling us "an informational website" is intentionally obtuse and gives us absolutely nothing to help you with.

"I'm new to driving. What car should I buy?"
    "I've never lived in a house before. What house should I live in?"

How can you possibly expect to get a valid answer to the question that you asked when you don't give us anything to go on?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    For the record I am not a web designer either but I think I can give you the answer you wanted. Going with a CMS would be an excellent choice. There are quite a few CMS options. The most popular is WordPress. It is free. There are a lot of good free templates available for it. There are a lot of video's on YouTube that will help guide you in creating your site. There are support forums on the wordpress site. There are two versions of WordPress. One at wordpress.com and one at wordpress.org. You want the one at wordpress.org.

I would suggest since this is your first WordPress site to find a good YouTube video showing how to create a site, watch it once. Use the same free theme they are using. Then watch it again pausing on each step and doing the same step on your web site. It will be much faster and easier that way. Pick a video that is at least one hour long. The shorter ones don't provide enough information.

There are other CMS programs. Besides WordPress the most popular are Joomla and Drupal. Joomla is a little more difficult than WordPress and Drupal is very difficult.
    sarahswansea likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads