Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By brandMatt
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: How will these changes at Wordpress.com affect your design business?

Member #
    Liked
    280 times

How will these changes at Wordpress.com affect your design business?

WordPress.com has been completely stripped down and rebuilt in JavaScript and API calls – and now it’s all open-source.
    From an article at WordPress.com just got relaunched, now it's open source and there's a desktop app - TechSpot

Are these big changes or negligible?
    Last edited by delstu; Nov 24th, 2015 at 09:54 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    The most important thing to note is the article refers to 'wordpress.com', i don't think it applies to the stand alone wp cms, though I could be wrong.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    2790 times
    The more I read it, the less I understand of what I'm reading; and the less I understand the happier I am that I avoided the whole W*rdPr*ss platform in the first place as much as humanly possible.

If I'm reading this correctly, and I really hope I'm not reading it correctly, it appears that the entire WP admin backend will be hosted on wordpress.com regardless of whether or not people self host their blogs. If that's the case, that has the potential to be a very bad idea for a few reasons:

1) Lack of control of access to data. WP potentially has access to millions of blogs by doing this.

2) Custom admin mods. People presumably won't be able to FTP mods to the WP admin, and I can't see how Git would allow them to do that.

3) "Built purely with Javascript and REST API calls." The API calls require PHP (or any other server-side language) for obvious security reasons (i.e. authentication tokens can't be passed through Javascript), so this makes no sense at all.

4) "Fully multi-site for advanced users, so you can manage hundreds of WordPresses from one place." I read this, and all I read is "SPLOGS! SO MANY MORE SPLOGS!"

I may be off base on this as well, and it's entirely possible; Automattic has done a horrible job of explaining whatever it is they're doing. But man, if there's ever a standalone reason for people to learn to code their own stuff, this may very well be it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I don't think the changes apply to the stand alone version of wp, I think it only applies to the wordpress.com blogs. Regardless the 3rd and 4th comments on that linked article are complete BS.
    Game, you are right, there is no way to have a completely secure login system using only client code. Even more disappointing is the lack of windows or linux stand alone desktop admin apps. I may be on a mac, but far from every developer uses one. This is right up there with apple deciding to not provide swift dev support to windows.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    2790 times
    That's just it...according to Matt Mullenweg, it is.

Dance to Calypso | Matt Mullenweg

Mind you, this is part of the reason I say that they've done a horrible job of explaining what it is that they're actually doing. You and I are two intelligent people and are interpreting this in two completely different ways.
    brandMatt likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads