Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 3 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By Bitpalace
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Do I need a Virtual Server?

Member #
    Liked
    296 times

Do I need a Virtual Server?

I have begun taking a couple of offline classes - CMS and web development. I need to be able to download and work with Drupal and Wordpress on my own computer. Do I need a virtual server? If so, which one do you recommend?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    I have begun taking a couple of offline classes - CMS and web development. I need to be able to download and work with Drupal and Wordpress on my own computer. Do I need a virtual server? If so, which one do you recommend?
    To work with Drupal or WP on your local machine or even live doesn't really require a vps. I know most shared hosts allow for WP to be installed and probably Drupal as well.

I just moved from GoDaddy's shared hosting to my first VPS with SectorLink based on Games recommendations and my struggle to find any reason not to online. Anything you can do on a VPS you can do on your local machine for the most part. Linux has more freedom but overall its just like having another computer you are using remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    delstu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you're using a Windows computer to develop with, permit me to show you one of Microsoft's most awesome secrets. It's called Web Platform Installer (WPI).

https://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

You can use that tool to pretty much download and install everything that you'll need to get WordPress/Drupal going (although they call it Acquia Drupal, and I have no idea whether or not that's the same thing since I don't use it). Get IIS, PHP, MySQL, WP, Drupal from there...let WPI do the work for you,

Give yourself about 30-45 minutes for the install and a few hours to figure out the things that you want to do specifically that either don't get installed or require tweaking on your part and you're golden. Alternatively, you can spend money on hosting but for learning an offline course I wouldn't recommend it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I like to use Cloud9 IDE (http://c9.io). With it, there's little need to install anything locally. It's essentially an Ubuntu instance with a full featured IDE on top.
    delstu and Vapr_Arts like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    I like to use Cloud9 IDE (http://c9.io). With it, there's little need to install anything locally. It's essentially an Ubuntu instance with a full featured IDE on top.
    Are you able to work offline with Cloud9? I have been hearing some good things about it, but no one has really mentioned to me if it has an offline option? Only reason I ask is because sometimes when I travel I will code offline when I have no wifi access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    There is no ability to use it offline. You can, however transfer files via FTP, SFTP, Git or a zip packaged download.
    satindertech likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    What OS are you using? You can just install WAMP or XAMPP in your computer. Download the Drupal or Wordpress package, extract it and place it in your htdocs or www folder then configure its database. Edit their config file and test your site in your browser using localhost/directoryname.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    You do not need a virtual private server or anything else beyond a tiny shared web space account.
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Any particular reason someone from Chicago is using a German DSL connection? Seems like kind of a long journey from Chicago to Germany just to post on WDF.
    satindertech likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads