Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By #scrapelink.com

Thread: Easy cms for both clients and designers?

Member #

Easy cms for both clients and designers?

I would like to start a small company that makes websites for other small businesses and random people. I need a CMS that allows those clients to easily add/edit pages on their own. This "editor" should be easily modified/translated by me. If possible, it should be free to use so I don't have to deal with any additional hurdles when installing it for clients (obviously servers/domains still cost). It should also have an option for a small webstore.

I would want to create my own style but I have no intention of actually coding all the menus and stuff, just "placing" them and changing their size and shape + obviously graphics. I know some HTML and CSS, my javascript and PHP are weak and are going to stay that way (I am very sick).

It would be nice if I could build/test/demo the websites locally on my pc without having to set any virtual servers or stuff like that, though I'm sure I could find some free, slow server to test if I can do this or not, before actually getting myself a real server and starting the company..

I tried wordpress many years ago and could not get rid of the blog functions.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    If you aren't willing to learn more than html/css then I really don't understand why you want to do this? I am sorry that you are sick, but that doesn't really make it any better of an idea. This business requires constant learning to stay relevant. How do you plan to stay up with the rapid changes our technology sees without continuing to learn? Again, I am sorry if you are sick, but thats no excuse.

When company X comes to you and asks you to do something that you aren't capable of, you being sick isn't going to change anything. They are a business and while they may empathize with you, they probably wont compromise for you. Its just business.

I know this wasn't the answer you want, but really its the answer you need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    If you have no experience in CMS and small amount of experience in HTML, CSS and no desire to learn about javascript and PHP it doesn't sound like you are making the right move starting a company doing this.

If your wanted to work local your going to have to use HTML and CSS.

Wordpress has changed over the years where you can actually design a website from it without it being just a blog. I think WP would still be your best bet so you and your customers can easily make modifications.

You are at the right place to learn about this..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Why do want to have clients if all you know is a bit of html not css ?

Sent from my SM-G550FY using Tapatalk
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I still think Wordpress is the best solution to your problem. It's user-frriendly which is perfect for your clients. The critical thing to do is to choose a perfect theme to suit your website whether it will a portfolio/company site, an ecommerce site, a hotel/travel site or just a simple blogging site.

Other options to use are Drupal and Joomla. There is also Crest platform but it is not free.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I would also agree with WordPress being the best choice. Joomla is much more difficult for the customer to update on their own. I have no experience with Drupal but don't think it is as easy as WordPress.

The blog functions are easy to get rid of now but sometimes finding how to do it can be a bit tricky. Once you figure it out it just takes seconds.

Remove Ads