Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ebalhoff
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: CMS with Gamification for Academic Club Website

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

CMS with Gamification for Academic Club Website

Hi!

I am looking for a CMS with gamification capability/plugins to speed the develop of an academic club website.

I would like it to have training games and activities, an ability to submit offline tasks for approval (points), and forums. It should also have leaderboards and badges to encourage community engagement. There will also be permissioning based on user type.

I have intermediate web design experience and a background in computer science. I could probably figure it out without cms/plugins given time, but I need it up and running within the next couple of weeks (at least a minimal beta version; I'm prioritizing development based on need). I have minimal/no budget.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Is this a school project? The idea that you need something in the next couple of weeks makes me think that this is for school. It would be right around the time we do our midterms. Theres nothing wrong with that(unless you ask us to do the work for you, which you haven't).

The reason I ask is because if this is a school project I would reconsider the CMS, unless it was for some CMS type of class. You should build it by hand, even if that means long nights. The main reason is that once you are done with school these are probably going to be the projects that you have in your portfolio. While some clients may be ok with CMS sites you are limiting yourself more than you would if you did it from hand. Thats just my 2 cents anyway.

Im not a CMS kinda guy, so I can't really recommend anything. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No. I am the computer science teacher and the advisor for the club I'm trying to support. The time table is because I'm trying to meet the current needs of our club (next 2 mos.).

I agree with the limiting part and I would rather do it from scratch, but although I have done some web design, I have never done forums or gamification, and I'm trying to free up time to work on content.

Any idea where I could brush up on the necessary skills?

Thanks!
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Right on. For the forum I have only used Vanilla and that was just playing around for a school project a year or 2 ago. It seemed really beginner friendly considering I was doing a lot of it from what I was learning in the Dreamweaver class and from the Googles.

What type of language are you trying to do this in? It seems semi simple to do on php, but I have started to hate php more and more as I look into other languages like Ruby or even Python.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was planning to use php. Most of my web design experience is html and css with a sprinkling of php and javascript. I was planning to learn on the fly. I've never used Ruby, and I've never used python for web design (I actually wasn't thinking about that). Actually, of the three(php, ruby, and python), I'm most familiar with python.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Take a look at Buddypress. It's an offshoot of WordPress that leans more toward social media aspects. It may have some of the features you're looking for.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Create your own custom plugin for your website.

Remove Ads