Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Can I do this using Wordpress?

Member #

Can I do this using Wordpress?

So, here's the story:
    We are a 40-ish people band that need a new website. I'm going to attempt to make it using Wordpress. I have a little bit of http experience (I made one website with it several years ago), but I cannot get the functionality I need with it, which is why I started looking for other ways and wordpress seems like the best way to go.

BUT: before I start spending way too much time and money on this, I would like to know whether or not wat we want is actually possible (and doable by me). So here's what we would like.

A regular website for visitors with:
    2. some sort of calendar functionality that lists all upcomming gigs and places them in another list once that date has passed. Preferably also a small widget of some sort that lists the next 3 gigs directly on the home page.
    3. A guestbook page where visitors can leave a message if they like.
    4. Some sort of form that visitors can fill in which is then emailed to us (for booking and such)
    5. Some sort of photo and video application that either links to facebook folders, youtube videos or is on the website itself.

A members-only part of the website with:
    1. login with unique usernames and passwords
    2. administrator rights to a few people
    2. on the page after login some information such as the most recently edited pages, most recent messages, upcoming birthdays, most recent forum posts
    3. a forum where members can post stuff
    4. a list of upcoming gigs, and preferably also a list of 'gig requests' that we still have to decide upon.
    5. member info such as name, address, a picture, and this all should be in some way linked to the birthday notification on the homepage.

OK, so not all functions are equally important. I'd like to know whether this is something that can be achieved using wordpress. I don't have a fixed budget, but I can pay money for premium themes and plugins if necessary. We're a non-profit band so we don't have THAT much to spend, but enought to afford a theme and some plugins I guess.

All advice is welcome!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, everything you listed can be achieved through WordPress using a variety of plugins.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I will second that everything you want can be done with Wordpress. There is a pretty good thread here with a lot of good tips about Wordpress that would be worth a read. It is called "What people tell us about Wordpress"

There are plug ins to do everything you are asking about. Make sure you use the wordpress at wordpress.org not wordpress.com. Most of the hosting companies will automatically install the wordpress from .org

If you run into any problems there are good support forums at wordpress and of course a lot of really helpful people here.
    bleau canon and dutchguy like this.

Member #
    Good to know, thanks! I'll look into that thread in a minute.

Next 2 questions then:
    I'm still not completely sure what the 'themes' precisely do. Should I immediately start with one, or can I change it later? (Or more importantly: will changing the theme cause a (partial) reset of the website. As in do I have to redo work if I change theme) I'm really new to all this

And finally: We have an old site that works for now (not made by me). The hosting service has some sort of built-in wordpress stuff, I guess to make it easier to upload the website or something. What exactly happens when I log in there and tell it to start downloading wordpress? Will it immediately shut down the other website? Or can I take my time (probably weeks) to build something and then change them when it is ready? We cannot really afford to have the site offline for more than a day, so this is kind of a big deal. A note: I do not have the login data of the host yet, that'll come somewhere next week I hope.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    The best I can explain it is the theme gives you the "look" of your website. It will give you a general layout which is changeable, a header, some design elements, a footer, it will give some of the basic colors and so on. Here is a link to some of the free themes at Wordpress.org. You can see what some of these are and then you can do a google search for wordpress themes and see thousands of them. Looking at them should answer your question about what a theme is. Here is the link to the wordpress.org themes. https://wordpress.org/themes/

Wordpress comes with a few themes installed. You can change themes with a click. You may have to do a few housekeeping things if you change themes. That may vary on the theme you were using and the one you change to. As an example when I was changing themes most things changed over but I had to redo the menu (that only takes 5 minutes) Installing other themes is quick and easy.

Yes, if you install wordpress into your root folder it will wipe out your current site. You can install it into a subfolder such as www.yoursite.com/new Then when you have it developed you can repoint your domain to that folder. The other option would be to transfer the files to your root folder.

There are some good tutorials on wordpress on YouTube.
    dutchguy likes this.

Member #
    Thanks!
    I've watched some tutorials and the like, and I've decided to go with the Avada theme, and just try to build the whole website in one day.

One thing I'm having trouble finding is this: what is the best way to create a login function? I want the members of our band to be able to sign in using their name and a password. I don't want anyone signing up through the website, I want to give people access manually. They ARE allowed to change their password though.
    After logging in, there should be a new menu of some sort, with the pages that they are now allowed to access.
    AND there should be some sort of hierarchy --> some people may post messages, others may not.

Can this be achieved using Avada alone, or do I need plugins? If so, do you have any recommendations?
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    You're going to need a plugin to handle the membership aspect, that's not something Avada (or any theme that I know of) provides. I don't have enough experience with that type of site in Wordpress to suggest a specific plugin, but there are quite a few available in the WP plugin directory: https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=membership

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    "Paid membership pro" is the plugin I would look at. It is free and It should do everything you want and has the capability to do lots of other things should you need to in the future but look at all the plugins and go with what appeals to you. It is always good to look at the ratings on a plug in as well as the number of downloads.
    khenney likes this.

Member #
    Thanks for all the help! I'm currently working on the website. You're welcome to take a look at it: Doe Mar Wa ? Unieke showband geeft live muziek op locatie, bij festivals evenementen en andere gelegenheden, in binnen- en buitenland
    It's still a bit white, but so far I'm working on the content first, then the pictures. Also, it's in Dutch (obviously )
    For the membership, I ended up trying the 'pro' thing, but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted. Now I'm using 'Members', in combination with a login redirect.
    As you can see, there is a triangle in the top rigth corner. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it?

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    The triangle opens up a menu area at the top of the screen - it's built in to the theme you're using but it can be turned off. Instructions are here:
    https://theme-fusion.com/avada-doc/h...e-sliding-bar/
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads