Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By delstu
  • 1 Post By khenney
  • 2 Post By delstu
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Rate Web Design Website

Member #

Rate Web Design Website

Hi mates!

We used Wordpress for local business Squamish web-site Web Design Squamish - Virtual Website Design Agency.

Can you rate it? Any tips?

We offer custom web design, e-commerce, SEO and branding.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Why are you using Wordpress for your own site if you offer custom web design?
    Vapr_Arts and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    I don't think there's anything inherently incompatible about custom design and Wordpress - certainly they could have built a custom theme from scratch.

It doesn't look like that's the case as this is a pre-built theme called BeTheme, but if they had built their own theme I think it would have been reasonable to call that custom design even if they're using Wordpress.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    You are correct Kevin. The problem is that so few of them do. Of course if they build a custom site from scratch there is no question about authenticity unless they copy someone else's work. Using a crutch like Wordpress, without modification, is often the lazy way of getting things done.
    TheGAME1264 and khenney like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Stu and Kevin: you guys are both right. I wouldn't object (as much) to the widespread usage of WP if the people using it would at least come up with their own layouts and content and WP was used strictly as a CMS. The problem is that's a lot like saying, "smoking weed is okay as long as weed doesn't become a gateway drug and you don't end up hooked on black tar heroin or crack." WP isn't always a gateway drug, but more often than not it is...and to be honest, I'd take my chances with giving someone weed before I'd introduce a "budding web designer" to WP. Heck, I might even take my chances with giving someone crack and hoping they don't turn into the late Rob Ford before introducing a "budding web designer" to WP.

I don't see much more than what Kevin and Stu see...a site with little content based on a theme. The one thing that I also see is an SEO wannabe who puts his/her designer credit hyperlink in the footer of client sites. There's no reason for this, as it can only hurt the client.
    khenney likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads