Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

From static to dynamic

Hi guys,
    I'm after a bit of advice about a question that has plagued my mind for a while.
    I like designing and building from scratch and I find where I fall down is getting it into a CMS, I don't know any PHP so I'm wondering what my options are, I've previously successfully used MODx as it doesn't require knowledge of PHP but I find it quite lacking in features compared to the likes of WP or Joomla so i'm wondering what my options are.

How much PHP do I really need to know to get a site onto WP? Would the basics be enough?
    Do I really need to know PHP to get a site onto Joomla or WP?
    What other good options for a CMS is there for a person in my position?
    Is it worth just out-sourcing the converting of a website?

I'm expecting the answers to be don't be lazy and learn PHP lol but ey, i wanna just put it out there anyway.
    I've seen lots of tutorials on getting a site onto WP but I don't really know if what's taught is enough in the long term - regarding security etc. or what not.

Anyway, thanks in advance for reading.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You don't need to learn PHP to get a site going int WP or Joomla, you'll just limit your customization options. I worked very briefly with a media agency that did WP sites and required all of the work I did to use the Divi theme. It's all drag and drop. I made 4 sites for them and wrote 2 or 3 lines of PHP the whole time. It was miserable for me and I hated it because I'm a code guy, but it worked, and their clients seemed to be good with it.

PHP isn't hard. If you know JavaScript, you can pick up PHP very quickly. They're very similar syntactically.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Nov 25th, 2016 at 08:21 PM.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You don't need to know any PHP at all to get a site onto WP, depending on what you're building. You don't even need to know HTML or CSS. WP is basically a CMS for newbies and idiot designer wannabes; the more skilled you become, the more useless it becomes in turn.

As far as security is concerned, that really depends on what you're doing. If you're doing something like say putting up pages and blog posts, you're fine...although you'll probably need a security plugin such as Wordfence because WordPress is a piece of Swiss cheese out of the proverbial box when it comes to security. If you're doing something such as say e-commerce...well, you're already out of the realm of what WordPress is really capable of (yes, I know WooCommerce exists...so does The Big Bang Theory, and they both should be put out of our misery as soon as possible.)

As far as "what not"...that depends on your "what not".

I've used Joomla a bit and don't mind it. Mind you, I haven't done all that much with it and it still suffers from the "it takes 10 times as long to do anything as it would to code it from scratch" problem.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I'm also use DIVI themes and divi builder. Almost 90% is drag and drop work. Other works is css if you need some special visual customization and some times a bit PHP

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Thanks for the replies guys. Might I clarify I'm wanting to get my static sites into a CMS for thinking ahead to have clients update pages/content themselves. Or if a site needs new pages or updating, it's a lot easier through a CMS...I presume.

Oh and I'm not interested in drag n drop crap lol

Remove Ads