Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Gaming website with a ladder system

Hi everyone , (sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section)
    I'm a noob when it comes to websites so I would like to ask you something :
    I'm thinking about creating a gaming website based on teams that face each other and after the match , they are placed to a higher or lower position on the ladder .
    Example : there would be 10 divisions .
    They create a team , they are placed into the lowest division and they start looking for a match . Once they find another team ,there might pop up a chat where they decide the room ecc .
    Once they finish , they go back to the website ,put the results and they get some points . So by reaching a certain amount of points , they will climb to the next division .
    Basically how fifa's divisions system works .
    An example could be https://www.faceit.com/en , but it's too sophisticated .
    For me it's enough to create a platform where teams can find other ones to play against and climb the divisions , I don't need my own servers and stuff.
    https://play.eslgaming.com/games Esl is almost what I'm talking about .
    They also have shown how it works , I will upload the image .
    What does it take to make such a thing ?
    I'm actually studying it engineering but it's not about programming at all.. so since I have to hire someone to develop it , I wanted to understand a little bit how it works .
    Thank you boys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Max961; Mar 08th, 2017 at 03:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Are you talking more along the lines of say how the Premiership works, where there's a Premier League, a Championship, a Division 1, Division 2, etc.?

I'm not a gamer, and I wouldn't be the best choice for a project like this (I'm too busy anyway). So I'll just give advice. I'll start by saying you're smart enough to recognize you'll need to hire someone. That's more than about 99% of the requests we get here for things of this nature: "I've never built a website before or I've used WordPress in the past, and now I want to build this overly complex beast of a thing. Where can I find a website builder that will do that?" You're smarter than that. So that's a plus.

With that said..."not a whole lot initially, but scope will change...a lot." Your idea is relatively simple on its surface: people register, chat, post results, data is stored, division results are calculated. Medium-grade stuff for an experienced programmer, and you'll want a designer (or at least a template early on) just so things look real purdy-like.

Now...here's where the scope changes. You hire someone. You spend a few grand on your site (because you won't have a lot of programmers experienced enough, smart enough, and masochistic enough to deal with this) for the initial concept to be done. Likely it's a PHP/MySQL setup because most of the chats are built using PHP, and it's where you're most likely to find a programmer. So you build it. And it's up and it's live and people start using it. And two people chat and post the results. And the results are different. And they argue over who won or lost. And you have to adjudicate that. Or you have to have your programmer build some system that will adjudicate it for you. Trust me, it'll happen. People don't always tell the truth...or even know the truth. So there's some scope change.

Then people want to build their own divisional setups. Or they want to play across multiple leagues under one consolidated login. Or they want to be able to screen/video capture the games. Or they want some other features you and I couldn't possibly fathom. So the scope changes and you get into major development costs for...a gaming website. Depending on what revenue stream(s) you're going to have, you'll want to take a long hard look as to whether or not it will be worth it.

One other thing: whatever you do, don't go down the "partner" road. As in "I want to hire a developer as a partner." Hasn't happened much around here lately, but most developers worth their salt won't touch a partnership deal with a ten-foot pole.

Basically, what this comes down to is a gamble, and a rather high-stakes one. You need to find the right developer, get the site working and making money IF possible, and then grow it from there.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads