Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi folks. Long time no see.

I just wasted about 2 hours banging my head on the wall, and trying to figure out why my navigation bar's <table> was not working. Finally figured it out. I had used Word imPerfect (which I hate but it's what my Dell came with) to clean up my .HTM file.

I had several dozen links for my navbar, which I wanted to format manually, after being done by a WYSIWYG coder. I would think that these WYSIWYG coders might be considerate enough to add a line space after a <br>. ALSO to eliminate any space before <br>. But no, my WSIWYG jumbles everything in one mass, very hard to see manually. AND adds a space before any <br>. As you may know, if you do this:

Mary had a little lamb <br>
    It is much better to do this:
    Mary had a little lamb<br>

Especially in a narrow column like a navbar. Because, whenever the end of a line just happens to fall right after "lamb" and before the character space in anybody's browser--then the character space will be given an entire line of its own. I.e., you will get an extra blank line space, messing up the appearance of the navbar.

So anyway, I used Word imPerfect to eliminate those character spaces. Notepad can do this. But Notepad can not add line spaces after each <br>, which was also needed so that I could see the code more clearly.

Anyway, this is what happened:

1. Word imPerfect did what I wanted but ALSO decided to change the SECOND quotation mark of every hyperlink from ( " ) to ( ” ). Not the first quotation mark, but just the second.

2. My Notepad is set for ARIAL font, so that the difference between ( " ) and ( ” ) was virtually invisible.

3. IF every hyperlink stopped working, I would still have spotted the problem immediately. But for some unknown reason--only ONE hyperlink stopped working--and in fact, it completely disappeared from the IE browser view--and erased the entire <td> along with it.

Here is the situation:

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>
    Best web design forum:</td>
    <td>
    <a href="http://webdesignforums.net”>Webdesignforums.net</a></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>

<td colspan=2>
    Second best web design forum:
    <a href="http://webdesignforums.net”>Webdesignforums.net</a><br>
    Third best web design forum:
    <a href="http://webdesignforums.net”>Webdesignforums.net</a></td>
    </tr></table>

Believe it or not--in my IE 6.0, the second and third links cause no problem. But the first link will disappear and totally disrupt the <table>--even though it is identical. I assumed I had made a mistake in writing the <table>. Finally, after a tedious "process of elimination," I found the cause as explained.

And so. The problem was not with the <table> code. The problem was with the link code. Even though this link code was IDENTICAL to the other link codes, which caused no problem--simply because they were placed in a different location within the <table>.

Whew. No wonder computer geeks go postal... And I am sure this is kiddie stuff to all of you advanced web designers... And I never aimed to be a serious web designer... But don't be surprised if one morning I am found swinging from the rafters... :dead:

--Krystof (A.K.A. Kristof/Christophero/etc.)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    It's a major pain, yes indeed.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thank you, Wired. Nice to feel that just maybe I am not totally insane... :alien:

--krystof

Member #
    You should switch to Notepad++

I started using it a couple of months ago and would never think of looking back. It's open source and comes bundled with API's which will color your code while you write it. It's also tabbed like firefox.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hey, Notepad+ sounds good. Is it better than NoteTab? When I tried NoteTab (which many people rave about) it didn't work for me, but I didn't know enough about coding to judge it properly, and I've been thinking of trying that again, too.

By the way, little things I HATE about the Windows XP with my Dell:

1. The IE 6.0 refuses to save that I want to "view" the "status bar"!
    2. The IE 6.0 usually also eliminates the File-->Work Offline/Online option! 3/4 the time, there simply is no such option there to check or uncheck as needed. Don't ask me why.
    3. NOTEPAD which in the past was revered by hand-coders as "bullet proof" now with XP suddenly is bug-ridden:

A) If I use "word wrap" (which is necessary to read properly) then when I highlight a certain word to delete--next thing I know, it has deleted a totally different word or entire section. This never happened with Notepad-98.

B) When I use "save as" or "open"--it no longer has the courtesy to remember I am working with non-TXT files. (Such as .HTM.) I have to repeatedly make 2 extra clicks to get it to show me "all files," not just .TXT files.

C) The ONE aspect of Notepad-XP that is superior, is that I can use the <Ctrl><S> shortcut to "save". But this one improvement is more than canceled out by all the bugs.

As for Word imPerfect--I consider that to be a prime example of software engineers who just love to add every possible complication, at the expense of basic functionality. I am constantly triggering some kind of obscure shortcut, if not some bug.

And remember the good old days when a word processor would SIMPLY allow you to highlight PART of a word--exactly the part that YOU wanted to delete or edit--and not force you to highlight the entire word + punctuation? Result: I must erase and re-type the entire word instead of just the few characters I want to change. Or I must meticulously use the arrow or backspace keys to guide the deletion with precision, which amounts to the same nuisance.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by krystof
    Easy to fix. Close ALL IE windows. Open 1. Check Status Bar. Close IE. Open IE, should be auto-selected now.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Easy to fix. Close ALL IE windows. Open 1. Check Status Bar. Close IE. Open IE, should be auto-selected now.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    A text editor I have enjoyed using is called "Scite". It is free and you can get it here:
    http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEDownload.html

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Wellll.....maybe.

I had tried that already, and now I tried it again. I even restarted the computer to make sure it was in the memory. And the status bar did show for awhile. But as soon as I used <ctrl><n> shortcut to make a new window--no status bar. So maybe that's what does it. So maybe I just have to stop making new windows? But I never had this problem with Windows 98.

(I also tried "locking" the toolbar. That didn't help either.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads