Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: DIV vs IFRAME

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Dynamic content in divs

Quote Originally Posted by kamnet
    ...can you load new content to a DIV, like you can with IFRAME? If so, would anybody care to PM me with some examples, or post them here?
    It is possible to do it with JavaScript, but that makes it more tedious than using an iframe. It depends on what you're trying to do -- parts of GMail may or may not use divs, though I know they also use iframes (getting around the structure of that system, even with Firefox's DOM Inspector, is a pain).

The JS involved in fetching database-created data and putting it into a div would most likely require some use of AJAX (Asnychronous JavaScript and XML, more on Wikipedia.

Member #
    Themayanlion

You are my savior..t.hanks for posting that code.

Member #
    My only question is this.

I want to set my included pages as PHP file so I can parse variables that are set in the page that is calling them.

Would the variables set in the "parent page" be passed onto to page being called into the div?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you use PHP's include or require, then what it basically does is just keep running in that page and then return. All the variables and everything are available, provided they are in the global scope, as with any other part of the page.

If you don't use PHP's include/require (i.e., if you use JS to call in a page or something), then you'll need to pass variables on the URI using GET.

Member #
    iframe

Here is a decent scenario when an IFRAME must be used.

http://www.musicpitt.net/forum.html

My server doesnt support ASP, so I have an ASP forum on someone elses server that does. The IFRAME holds the forum, and it puts the forum inside my design so it looks like it is part of the page.

However, it doesn't work on Mac.

If anyone has a better solution, let me know. I should probably just change servers.
    Nickhead
    musicpitt.net

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads