Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DIV vs IFRAME

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Something I've noticed recently is that IFRAMEs are taking the web by storm. People seem to think that they make websites better, more functional, or easier to design. Well they're wrong, and here's why...

DIVs can do just about anything that IFRAMEs can do. The only added benefit gained by an IFRAME is the ability to redirect the content to a new page without refreshing the whole outer page. The ONLY reason you would want to do this is because you have databased content in the outer page that doesn't need to get refreshed (as in for optimizing intranet applications that thousands of users will be connecting to simultaneously).

"Well what about scrolling?" is the usual subsequent question. Well, for all you scrolling freaks, here it is:

How to Scroll in a DIV
    It's a lot easier than most people know. All you have to do is set the "overflow" property to "scroll" and boom, there you go, a scrolling div!!! Even better than that, it's CSS1 compatible, and works in Netscape 4 and IE 5. I've attached an example for you guys to peruse. Check out how simple the code is. You'll wonder why you ever used IFRAMEs in the first place !!!

- Steve

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Scrolling within a page is really bad, anyway, which is my whole problem with iframes
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I use both, but I prefer DIV's since I think more can be done with them, with a little creativity, ingenuity, and experimentation.
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    filburt,

I agree with you for the most part, but sometimes scrolling within a page is desired functionality.

For instance, a shopping-cart application. A shopping cart should display the person's information in a fixed table that doesn't require scrolling. Below that, you place a list of the items in the user's shopping cart.

Make that list a scrolling div that scales to the width and height of the page, and the user can scroll up and down through it to view all the items without ever eliminating a view of the user information or cart-modification buttons that allow him to update quantities or proceed.

In this type of case the scrolling actually INCREASES usability of the page, because it limits the scrolling to the portion that requires it (the list of items in the cart), and doesn't eliminate the user's view of the rest of the information on the page.

JR
    Member #
    moved to tutorials.
    JR

Member #
    i like scrolling inside pages, and i use both IFrames and DIVsbtw, here's something a bit better than transio's because it doesn't make the scrollbar at the bottom, unless it goes past the width of the DIV
    Download Firebird now!

Member #
    Geez, you guys are like how old?

This is old news. There's been many confrontations between the two tags for ages now and it's been settled many times. It's been proven who the clear winner of the two is. But, I'll let you tussle that amongst yourselves.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Please keep a mature and kind attitude.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by a-drive
    Geez, you guys are like how old?
    It's not an issue of age, but knowledge. Thus, your insult itself seems random and misdirected... which makes YOU look like the child.

This is old news. There's been many confrontations between the two tags for ages now and it's been settled many times.
    It's never been settled on this board. Many people make posts asking about iframe functionality when they clearly are looking for div functionality. The intention of this post was to clarify the distinction for those who don't know.
    It's been proven who the clear winner of the two is. But, I'll let you tussle that amongst yourselves.
    There IS no "clear winner". They are two separate elements with different intended functionality. There is a necessary use for each (which explains the existence of both). A statement that there is a "clear winner" displays more ignorance than lack of knowledge of the existence of both.

Member #
    A-drive,
    Disagreements and discussions are beneficial to the understanding of technology. If we didn't discussed or devated over subjects, then we would always just look at them from a single perspective. We all know that's not good.
    Transio, I think a-drive didn't mean it in a bad way, though. I think you were just a little bit harsh :chinese: </scolding>
    I cannot self terminate, you must lower me into the fire.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads