Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I live in Dewsbury but my lifes in Leeds...
    Member #
    I'm just starting out with javascript although I've got a bit of experience in html and css. Could someone tell me where would be a good place to go to get an explanation of the js file (functions and stuff) as I prefer to understand the code than just copy it.

Cheers...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Absolute positioning is a little buggy if you ask me. If I have absolute positioning within a div, it should be absolute RELATIVE to the div I'm in. Really, there should be a third one called "relative-absolute". LOL
    Really, it makes a lot of sense once you get into how positioning works. For instance, if you simply add this:
    Code:
    position:absolute;
    left:50px;
    It works exactly how you mention it, positioning absolute relative to containing div... however, once you throw in top it goes all wacko.

One might ask why, there's a simple explination: Once you start moving elements up and down, you must take them out of the document flow, meaning they "float" above everything, allowing things to go underneath them. It's all about the document flow, if you break it, massive changes have to be made... hence the seemingly "weird" rendering of absolute positioning.

shineability> Sorry dude, you're wrong. Relative positioning is positioning something relative to where would be in the document flow. Not the containing div. The element does float above everything (VISUALLY), but it's space in the document flow is preserved, and offset by t
    he values you put in.

The solution to "relative-absolute positioning"? Floats and margins. Simply set the element to float:left;, then use margin-left, margin-top, etc to position the element accordingly.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    netscape

i've been having major difficulty trying to learn pop up menus. initially i used fireworks to create them and they only worked in IE. and when i attemped this tutorial, it also didnt work on netscape. any suggestions? am i doing something incorrect?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads