Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: INFO: FRAMES

Member #
    I don't think that information is very accurate in my opinion :P Not to be mean or anything buy ...

First of all, if you don't use auto-replace programs to do html for non-framed site when changing a link can be quite tedeous...

File sizes of website increases dramatically... when you have to load the whole content over and over onto large html files rather than a set of small ones. Strains bandwidth if you have a lot of viewers.

As for search engines - their are always ways around spiders not indexing you page correctly, or the correct info for that matter.

Frame size has a huge factor too. People have different screen resolutions(800 X 600, 1024 X 768, and 1280 X 1024) and frames don't calulate right making your users have to scroll back and forth.
    You can use percentages instead of a given pixel size to fix this... unless you don't use it right. If your website looks distorted at 800 X 600 res than it would probably not be the most appealing thing if it didn't have frames anyway :O

Sorry... I find it more convenient to use frames in certain cases, but choose not to due to the fact that people complain

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Sorry to disagree, filb, but frames are nothing like iframes in terms of scrolling. If a frameset is laid out properly, the scroll wheel on your mouse will work 100% properly. The only thing is that portions of the page will not scroll.

In fact, if frames are thought out well, they can emulate a "Windows Explorer" folder structure and actually be MORE familiar in usability to the average user.

Here's my favorite example of USABLE frames: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

JR
    Member #
    I think it's ok to have scrolling parts of the page (I'm talking about scrollable DIVs) if the actual page does not scroll, that's my take on it. I don't like iframes because they cause all sorts of bookmarking and SEO problems. Plus on some websites that use frames, when you refresh the page it goes back to the homepage, which is very annoying.
    JR

Member #
    iFrames are the new frame :smile: They are good but only if they are used right.
    I agree with you JR, it has been proven that users HATE and I mean HATE scrolling left to right to see content, I know I sure as hell do! But users don't mind scrolling up and down to see content, unless the page is a country mile long that really ****s me off pages that are too long.

well thats my 2 cents worth...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i agree with coolio - iframes have their advantages. and like tonic said, there are ways around the search engine problems. iframes can be awesome because you can keep your layout exactly how you want it, and just have that one part scroll.

we all know that frames have their disadvantages. but there are also advantages.

and the things that you posted, drewrockshard, are pretty much known to most people, i'd say. so thanks for the info, but i've heard it a million times before.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    File sizes of website increases dramatically... when you have to load the whole content over and over onto large html files rather than a set of small ones. Strains bandwidth if you have a lot of viewers.
    ye, thought that was the no1 reason to use frames. not everyone have nice connections.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads