Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: INFO: FRAMES

Member #
    Hello Everyone,
    I am a 3-year freelance web designe, yet only 17 years old! haha. Anyways I would like to inform to people that frames are a dying tool...

A frameset document is a document that defines one or more frames by using the
    Code:
    frameset
    and
    Code:
    frame
    elements.

THE ADVANTAGE??

The advantage to frames is this: you can present multiple documents into one browser window. For example, you could make a frameset(index.html) and add the following page: a frame on the left side(nav.html) and assign the page links for your navigation links for your website. Then you may have a frame at the top of your document(header.html) inserting an image to make it look like your logo top header part of your site. Then you could make a body frame(body.html) and assign it as the target for your links so that your links target display into the body.html frame. This can get confusing if you don't do this yourself. But this is the only advantage to frames.

THE DISADVANTAGE??

The disadvantage to frames is this: well not really theres alot so lets list em...

• From browser to browser (IE, NN, Opera, Mozilla, and Firefox) they dont display the same way causing your users to get annoyed or confused and they click out of your site.
    • Frame size has a huge factor too. People have different screen resolutions(800 X 600, 1024 X 768, and 1280 X 1024) and frames don't calulate right making your users have to scroll back and forth.
    • Some browsers (most anyway), do not support the fact of printing. Alot of the browsers just print out a certain page, but not the whole page the user is seeing. It could be the links page, or the body page, or even the header page.
    • Search engines have a hard time getting a correct search. Like if your site was a frameset and had all the pages as stated above, and you went to google and searched for your site: You click the link for your site and all you get is this page of links. The user is confused and clicks out having a bad, very bad opinion about your site. And you as a web designer is displeased, because you have no, or almost no visitors.
    • Finally, the last, but certainly not least reason why frames are a dying tool, is the fact that tables are a whole lot cleaner. You can format and display information alot better in tables than in frames.

I really hope this post was useful. I'm also going to post this on the main HTML area of this forum. And thanks for taking the time to read.
    Thanks,
    Drew

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Please don't double post.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Frames destroy the page-based paradigm of web pages. They are supposed to be uniform elements that scroll in their entirety in the browser's viewport. Just as with iframes, there should absolutely never be scrolling within a document. Just think how many times you have been using the mouse wheel to flip through a page and it snags on an iframe.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Originally posted by filburt1
    ... Just think how many times you have been using the mouse wheel to flip through a page and it snags on an iframe.
    GOD I HATE THAT!!
    That has to be one of my single greatest online pet peevs..

Member #
    i disagree...

i-frames (or using css to accomplish the same deal) can be really useful for just that.. containing a large portion of text to within a limited area.

For example.. a news blurb on the front page of a website.

Anyway.. you know what really annoys me????

I hate when you email a link to someone with an @hotmail.com email address. M$ automatically frames the URL in it's own frame!!!

I hate it soo much that I hunted down a framebreaker javascript that breaks my pages out of the "hotmail frame"

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If there is a large amount of text, then it should be the only major content on the page. If it is still too large, separate pages are used.

When was the last time you saw a, say, product review that was dumped in an iframe? They are spanned across pages instead.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

JR
    Member #
    Should this be put in the tutes forum?... Or stickied?
    JR

Member #

hey, im the starter of this post....
    to reply to ure message...i guess you could just sticky it...i mean i thought i did a good job...but whatever you want.
    Thanks,
    Drew

Member #
    That's very humble of you. :-p But I think JR was asking for the opinion of other's specifically Filburt and/or other mods. I'll move it to the Tutorials forum, it seems like a tutorial on why not to use frames.

Member #
    Nice information, thanks drewrockshard!
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads