Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Originally posted by splufdaddy
    ...can attach an HTML file to your posts with CSS examples for certain things that are easier to show than explain. Good stuff.
    Wish granted.. I have updated the tutorial and will add another post soon explaining the float and Z-index property.

Member #
    Great tutorial. I'm finding myself slowly moving to the <div>/CSS world, and this should help.

You should write a final example page with a header, side menu, menu items and main-content div.

Oh, I don't mean to be rude, but spell check it! There were a couple of annoying mistakes. But the tute was great.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    Please do continue the tutorials, this first one is great.

I have started using CSS for styling and positioning and its dead easy and heaps easier than using tables 99% of the time.

Member #
    Very nice! I have only skim read this tutorial at the moment (still took long enough!) Please do continue the other parts to it.

I have used tables (afterall I am novice) for a while, and they get really difficult when u have lots of images and stuff... maybe this will make things easier!

Member #
    Thanks for this tutorial. I've been eager to jump into tableless design, but had long sought a common sensical intro to the basics, and this more than fits the bill!

Consider it bookmarked!

Tx again,
    ~Roy

Member #
    So... Glyakk... about part two, buddy... pal..

*pleads for a part two*
    - Chris
    -----------------------------------------------
    I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and others around me... I'm more of a CSS kamikaze than a CSS ninja...

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have not forgotten about this.. just being fashionably late..
    I am hoping to have at least part 2 done by next week as well as addition to part one provided I can get some time this weekend to sit down and write it.

It is quite long overdue, and I appreciate everybody's long enduring patience.

Member #
    I cant believe it. Ive always used tables, and used CSS just for the fonts on a page.

When i wanted to create the box with a border effect I would make a table with rows and coloumns that I would set to 1 pixel wide so as to create the border effect. Ive just read your tutorial and checked your site out and tried to make the box effect with CSS in dreamweaver.

Its absolutely amazing! Im a converted CSS fan! Cant wait for tut2.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    well done on the tut glyakk! keep up the good work!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Can I be the voice speaking against the flow? Having used CSS for various sites, and a few times had to go back to using tables, it is not all a bed of roses using CSS.

Quite often, you end up using workarounds to get CSS to behave in the way you want with your layout. The reason for not using tables is that using tables is a 'workaround'. Partly this is due to the way CSS works, partly it is due to poor browser implementations. Printing especially can look messy when you have used CSS for layout, meaning you either have to design a second print version of the site (using tables perhaps?), and use two stylesheets to show the different version when browsing or when printing, or you go back to tables.

CSS is good, but far from perfect. Using tables is often still the best, and simplest, way to go.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads