Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I decided to start learning MySql so i installed server 2000, and downloaded mysql 3.23, instead of uploading it i thought i'd try learning it on my local machine first but no matter what i do the username and password wont work, do i have to be running it server side for it to work?

I have absolutely no prior programming experience so please be gentle !
    I'm not really that stupid, just learning,

Thanks

Member #
    Mysql should run smoothly on your local machine (you don't even have to have a web server (IIS, Apache and their likes) up and running, to get it to work)
    If you want to test it against scripts (PHP, VB, JSP etc) you will have to have a web server installed to compile the script.

What you do need, is a mysql server. That is normally baked in together with the DB binaries themselves (if you download a ZIP file from MySQL with a windows installer package included).

If you've installed one of those, 'root' will be your username, and password is left blank (until you change both of the above).

Until you specify what works and what doesn't, it will be hard to give more specific advice.

Maybe you can take a look at these threads to begin with, and see if you can find anything relevant to your problem.

http://webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=11513
    http://webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=12004

Things gets a lot easier if you have some sort of graphical interface to help you interact with the DB system.

Some MySQL CC threads here:
    http://webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=12601
    http://webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=11495
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Ok were do i begin, my exact problem is that i downloaded mySQL 3.23, installed it with no problems at all.
    Ran mysqladmin were i was prompted for a username so i entered root and mysql as the password, when that was up and running i went to command prompt and got to the mysql dir eg.C:\mysql\bin>, this is where the problems started, first of all i typed mysql and got in to the console but had no rights to do anything, so i want back and tried
    "C:\mysql\bin>mysql -u root -p" were i was prompted for my password, so i entered the password and this is what it said:

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' <using password: YES>

Could it be the localhost thing or something ?
    Anyway thanks very much for the help so far hope this explains my problem a bit better!

Member #
    The default MySql root user does not have a password. Omit the -p switch and it should work.

Member #
    Like VisualAd says, the default 'root' user does not have a password. Mysqladmin would not enable you to set one either (to my knowledge). You can only alter the 'user' table after logging in with an account holding 'Grant' privileges ('root' after a virgin install).

When you do, you should register a new account with password, holding all grant privileges. Test to make sure you have full access/control through the new account, and then delete the default 'root' account.

If you plan on going live with it (use it on a web server), you should register an additional account with only sufficient privileges to properly respond to the scripts you throw at it. That way you eliminate the minute risk of external parties reeking havoc on your DB system.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    BTW, after you have gained access, try to download and install MySQL CC. It is a graphical user interface that allows easy interaction with the DB. It has a lot of auto generated queries (meaning you don't have to type in the queries manually), but still allows you to write manual commands if you like.

If you have PHP installed, you can also install phpMyAdmin, which is a bit more powerful, and works through your browsers interface.

If you have any further problems or questions regarding MySQL structure/query syntax, report back.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Thanks guys you've been a great help, i've finally managed to log on to it, so now the learning process begins, i'm sure i'll be back with more questions in the near future, but right now i'm just gonna try and get used to the commands and the program in general.

Thanks again guys, its much appreciated

Remove Ads