Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im upgrading my host and my forums. Im going from Ikonboard to Invision. To do this, Im running a php converter that SHOULD connect to mySQL (on my personal server) from my new host and convert all the information to my invision board on my new host. However, every time I try and run through the php converter, it tells me it couldnt connect to my database (on my personal server) I have the IP, database name, user name and password correct. What else can cause this? I cant look at it right now, but what are some things I can try when I get home?

Thanks!
    -Robin
    .........say when.............

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This "personal server" is in your house? Have you tried using ssh to connect to your new host and then pinging the IP address to make sure it's visible from outside your own personal LAN?

That would be my first plan of attack...

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you don't have ssh access to your host, try using one of the many webpages that allow you to ping an address...

Sean

Member #
    Do you have a firewall on your personal server? If so you need to ensure that the MySql server port (3306) is open.

Member #
    Another factor to consider is your mySQL settings. You need to configure it so it can accept connections from outside of localhost. It's been a *long* time since I've done this myself, so I'd have to dig up exactly what you'd need to do. :-)

On a side note, don't install Invision. They've turned their back on the open source community and flat out lied about Invision alwaysing being free. In case you haven't heard, they have killed the free version of the board. If you're looking for a great BB program, check out http://www.simplemachines.org . Far, far better then IPB, free and open source. (Yeah, I know what I sig says, but our current version is not of the quality I would expect so I don't often push it. Our upcoming version will fix that..but that's even further off the point..lol)
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've always liked the YabbSE family of BBS software anyway (ie. Simplemachines)...

Agree that you should check remote access isn't disabled. I think it's in the mysql configuration file... something like "skip-networking"... if you search in the mysql manual you'll find it... got so used to using CPanel to do these sorts of things I'm a bit rusty on how to do it manually...

Sean

Member #
    Ha! You're in my boat too I see..lol. I run mySQL on a local test server, but never had to tinker with any of the remote settings. The *one* time I did, it was on a dedicated Rackspace box and like you, I did it through CPanel..*grins*

..and SMF is simply great PHP. [Unknown] has done an amazing job keeping the code clean and well commented (always a big plus in my book). I'd take that over just about any board on the market right now.
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Remove Ads