Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

I have just installed, PHP, Apache, on my WinXP Pro machine. I then went to install MySQL, which appeared to go well...

I went into MySQL folder and opened up winmysqladmin, and clicked on Start...the response I got was unable to start try again in 30 seconds...

Donít know if this has anything to do with it, but in the books and help pages I have got, they all mention a log on page, to enter username and password, I have not seen this.

Can anyone help?

Wood1e

Member #
    The service has to be running before you can log-in. I.e you won't be able to log in unless the service is started.

Do you have a 'red traffic light' in your toolbar? If it's green, it means the service is already up and running.

Try right clicking it (the traffic-light)and select 'start-service' or something similar. I'm currently not on a machine with MySQL installed, so I'm not 100% sure regarding the right-click-menu-options.

You can also try to start the service by double clicking the appropriate exe-file in the mysql-bin folder (can't recall that name either, but think it is mysql-nt.exe or equivalent).

If all fails, try to remove and reinstall it. Make sure you've downloaded the correct binaries for your OS. (and WITH the Windows installer)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    I have a red light in tool bar...when i right click red light and select win nt, and start services, a windows pops up and says are you sure you want to try and start services I click yes, then the window pops up saying, unable to start services, try again in 30 seconds....

I have tried unistalling and re-installing, and the mySQL I downloaded was....mysql-4.0.21-win, which I think is the right one....

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated...

wood1e

Member #
    Have you checked that the mysql.ini file in the Windows folder contains correct pointers to where mysql resides on your system? (mysqld-nt.exe)

You can try to access it under 'my services'
    control panel>administrative tools>services. If it's disabled try to enable it (will automatically start when you start windows), or select manual. You should then be able to start it manually in the way described earlier.

I also saw a registry hack, where you manually change the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\SERVIC ES\Mysql\ImagePath to the correct path to mysqld-nt.exe

----------

There are newer versions of MySQL availble. If non of the above works, try to uninstall and install one of the newer versions from below.

The latest available stable version is 4.1.7 (the 4.1.x series supports sub queries and other more advanced functions)
    You can download it here (win version with installer, 36MB)

If you prefer the earlier version, 4.0.22 is the last version.
    Available here (win version with installer, 25MB)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Will uninstall older version, and download and install newer version...hopefully that will work..

Many thanks

Wood1e

Member #
    Hi, Downloaded newer version, and installed, although servies wouldn't start when i got to the end of installing...what I got was a red cross...so I unistalled again, this time when i clicked execute, I got a green light...

I then went to mysqld-ny.exe, and up came the trafficv light in the toolbox, and once again I right click, start services, and once again, unable to start try again in 30 seconds...

help!!!

Member #
    The final tuning/setup dialog (when installing) often crashes at 'start service' even though it in fact is up and running.

Try to log in through MySQL monitor:

START->RUN //type CMD an hit enter

In the command prompt window type:
    CD\ and hit enter
    You now have CD:\> displayed
    Type:
    cd mysql\bin and hit enter OR
    cd program files\(+path to your install) depending on where you installed it. Check Explorer to find the correct path to 'bin'.

When you have opened the appropriate path to your mysql BIN-folder,
    Type:
    mysql -u root and hit enter

If you get a welcoming text like:
    Welcome to MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    You're in. Your server is up and running. (Type exit and hit enter to log out.)
    If you get an ERROR 2003: (HY000), your server is shut down.

If the latter happens, I would try one of the before mentioned alternate fixes. Visit mysql.com and see if there are any similar errors listed under BUG's or FAQ's. A Google search might help out as well.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Hi,

I must be doing something wrong as I typed in C:\program files\mysql\mysql4.1\bin....hit enter, and the repsonse I got was, 'C:\program' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file...

I even tried, CD:\ and that just bought up C:\...and then I tried variations of your suggestion, and still nothing...well apart from the error as above...

any other ideas...

Many thanks for all your help so far...

wood1e

Member #
    If you typed it as listed in your above post, it won't work. (It thinks you're trying to load an executable when you're really trying to change directory.)

You have to type cd before the path listing (Change Directory), as shown in the example below.

Example:
    C:\> cd program files\mysql\mysql4.1\bin (then hit enter)

Don't type mysql -u root at the end of the above statement. That crashes with the cd command. Wait until the path is accepted and listed (after you hit enter) before typing mysql -u root at the end of the path listed.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Hi,

I have typed exactly what you said and once again the same error has come up...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads