Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    does postgresql use a host, like mysql usually has a localhost?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    localhost is a reference to the local machine - it is not database specific.

postgresql does require a database server software to be set up similarly to mysql.

Member #
    hmm

well im asking because i tried to install a script which should supposedly work both with mysql and postgresql, and i tried to use postgresql cos im out of mysql databases with my host.

and it asks me to specify a host, and a port?

now, when i make a mysql database, it tells me the host is localhost. when i make a postgresql database, it doesnt even mention it.

the script failed to connect to the database, so i must have done something wrong, but i dont know what...

i sent a question to my host but its taking them ages to reply and i should really get this done soon....

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Localhost works only if the database server is located on the same machine as your webserver. So if your host's postgreSQL server is not on the same machine as it's webserver you need a domain or Ip address depending on the script you want to use in order to access that DBMS.

What script are you trying to use, or what line(s) does it use to access the database? Minus any usernames, passwords, or other specific information.

Remove Ads