Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    At the moment I have a sort of rating system in MySql. It was a Yahoo add on. Great stuff, really simple.

The problem is that I don't get any IP info or e-mail address relating as to who the survey participant is. I used to get the IP info when I used an ordinary online form. Is there any way I can retrieve this information while still using the MySql facility? The advantage of the MySql survey is that I can download the info into an Exel sheet and then copy and past the info into the appropriate place in the website after I review it.

Member #
    Without seeing the code that interacts with your DBMS, or indeed your table schema, it's tough for us to say yes or no.

If you can alter the table to add fields to the table, and alter the survey form that takes in the data, then yes.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply again bfsog.

I can definately alter the survey form, and I'm fairly sure there's a facility for me to edit the table too. I think that's just a matter of me going into php my admin, right?:ermm: I can see tables and stuff in there.

Code that interacts with the DBMS. I'm sure I could copy and paste that here if I knew where to look for it. The form on my site links to www.root/survey/survey.php?s_id=1. I can find the file root/survey/survey.php, but does this contain the code that you would need to see?

Member #
    Well all we would need to do, is

1: alter the mysql table to add 2 fields. (email and ip_address, both varchars, say 50 and 15 respectively).

2: Alter the html form to add a field for the email
    - we do not need to add a form field for the IP address, as
    2.1: expecting a user to type it in is insane
    2.2: PHP has a special variable for us to get it.

3: Alter the PHP code, basically just add those 2 variables to the insert query.

In the survey file, whatever file is specified in the form action tag, that file shouldcontain the insert query

edit: yes, you can edit the table's columns and such through phpMyAdmin.

Member #
    And thanks again. I'll attempt this later when I can home in on it properly. It sounds like something I can manage.

Remove Ads