Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I run the dying mac OS 9.2.2 because I have limited hard disk space on my 333 tray loading imac (6 Gb with a whopping 350 mb free). Besides that, my iMac doesn't even have firewire, only USB 1, so I haven't gone through the trouble of buying a new hard drive yet and troubling with the transfer of files from the old drive.

So right now I think my only option to learn MySQL/PHP is to set up a sample database on a free hosting service that supports it and work on it with dreamweaver remotely. However, the extent of my MySQL/PHP knowledge ends abruptly at the definition of each. I have scanned through some tutorials on how to set up these programs on a windows machine, but since I don't have the luxury of doing that, I am not sure how to learn database integration. I am a web design student and am quickly becoming aware that the knowledge of database design and implementation will be crucial in my marketability as a web designer.

So since I don't have the Unix underpinnings of Mac OSX or the ability to install PHP and MySQL like on a PC, how do I set up a MySQL database remotely, and communicate with it using Dreamweaver MX?
    "That's what you get for messing around with the Yakuzas!"

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You'll need a host that can run MySQL and allow remote connections; http://www.hostmatters.com/ . I don't believe you can run MySQL itself on OS 9, only on OS X.

You should probably just save your money for an eMac or something similar.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I know I can't run it on OS 9, but I know it can be run on the host server, provided that there is PHP and MySQL support. From what I understand, I can set it up on the remote server and communicate with the database remotely with Dreamweaver MX, as opposed to setting up a test server locally. I just don't know how to do this.

I plan on eventually getting an eMac, but it's going to be quite a while. I would like to learn this stuff in the mean time.

JR
    Member #
    please will you fix your sig to 4 lines...

thanks
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Go into Dreamweaver, hit F1, then search for mysql. You'll see a result for Creating a database connection. Personally, I just use Dreamweaver to FTP everything up, and use MySQL Control Center to access the mySQL database. I manually create everything from there. Didn't know Dreamweaver could access it directly until I searched this though, so maybe i'll try it and see how I like it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Damn! MySQL Control Center is only available for Linux and Windows, not Mac OS 9. Is there a similar tool I can use with OS 9? I just want to learn how to create and modify a database by practical application. I can learn PHP on php.net, but as far as setting up a database with OS 9 and connecting to it to modify it is hard for me to find info on.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Have you tried the Dreamweaver one? Either way, you can submit mysql queries using a PHP page. With some minor work, you can set up a page that has a form that wil input any commands directly to the DB, and reports back with any server side messages. There are some mySQL programs for Mac out there, just gotta look around.

Just tried the Dreamweaver one, it's actually pretty good. Even lets you see the data in the tables, which for some reason the Control Center won't let you do. I don't believe it will let you create anything however. So you'll still have to find out another way to access the mySQL database to initially make the tables if you don't want to bother with making your own PHP entry page. Perhaps telnet or SSH?
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    thank you for the reply. i will look into ssh and telnet so i can create a database to work with. and once i do, i will try the dreamweaver interface.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    No problemo, glad to help.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads