Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I know this must sound very, err, n00b-ish, but I can't get mySQL to stay as a process after I activate mysqld-nt.exe. I'm using an old version of PHP and mySQL (actually PHP triad) and AFAIK I should run apache.exe and mysqld-nt.exe, as I'm using windows XP. I've tried all sorts of things... but so far, after I run the exe, the window just disappears - as it usually does on my PC - but then mySQL itself just vanishes, and nothing can contact it. Am I missing anything? This is a fresh installation to a laptop, and my PC isn't working right....

Any help would be appreciated.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Try running it on the command-line and see if it gives you any errors. Also try hunting for error logs. On Windows, I think these are usually in the main MySQL folder... But then I haven't run MySQL on Windows for about two or three years now :-P

Member #
    Actually I've run every single application in apache/mysql/bin. All of em. And nothing usually happens, except a beep or two. Where are the error logs?

Or should I just redownload a newer set?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Try to see if the service is stopped.

Start -> Run (write "services.msc") -> enter

Scroll down until you find MySql, and see if it says "stopped" under status.
    If so, restart it.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Ah, thanks everyone, I got it working already! I just meddled with the options and I discovered how to get it to work - turning on Windows 95 compatibility mode. That was sooooo obvious.

Thanks again for your support!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ... What version of MySQL are you running?

Member #
    A very, very old one I suspect. At least in phpinfo, it says it's at 3.23.39.

I just couldn't bother downloading all 3 pieces together and decided to use an old version of them.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Dear God, MySQL 3.x is ancient to the point of complete lunacy and uselessness. Install MySQL 4, bare minimum, or preferably 5 (well preferably PostgreSQL instead of the turd that is MySQL).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow. Yikes that's old.

Member #
    On that mention, can I just download a new version and plaster them into apache and get it to work instantly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads