Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I want to redo my website and add a searchable database - but I don't even know where to begin. Until now, I have built/managed my site with FrontPage - but I now have DreamWeaver and figured I would redo the site from the ground up with DW. Is the database created/managed from within DW, or is it external? (see, I told you I don't even know where to begin)
    Looking around the forums here it appears to mostly be how to tweak existing database stuff - I'm looking for how to start.
    My first database is going to be very simple - a list of movies with dates viewed and my personal rating - where I can search by date, title, or rank greater than "x".
    What is my first step?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If you're using DW, you should use a LAMP (Linux / Apache / PHP / MySQL) solution. Find a LAMP web host who has cPanel X as a part of their solution - that will allow you to create and administer MySQL databases through the website administration panel. Then, find some beginners tutorials on PHP / MySQL programming and get to it!

Member #
    I don't *have* to use DW, I just wanted to mention it since I didn't know if that would be an advantage or disadvantage.
    I am using ixwebhosting as my host with a Linux plan, and the control panel there shows:
    MySQL Server - phpMyAdmin - PgSQL Server - phpPgAdmin
    **Update**
    I think I have created a database - trying to understand tables, what needs to be a table, etc... How in the heck do you actually add information to the database? If I could figure out how to do that, Seeing what needs to be a table or a whatever would make more sense I'm sure.

Member #
    There is no doubt a guide on how to use phpMyAdmin to add (INSERT) to a database, but try this.

1) Once you are in your cPanel click 'phpMyAdmin' (this may be an image, but just get into it.
    2) Make sure there is a database listed in the left (drop down box). Select it.
    3) Somewhere on the page it should say how many tables that database has. There should also be two boxes and some text like "Create a new table" enter a name for the database (perhaps movies) and how many fields (perhaps 4 [ID , film title, film rating, date of last view]
    4) If your table is created you are pretty much halfway. In my opinion you should just enter movies via a tool like phpMyAdmin for now. Other option is to develop a web based form but you would find that quite tricky I imagine.

Member #
    Thanks - that answers one question... it appears that in my case, there will only be 1 table with 3 fields. (movie title, date, rating)... I was doing it as 3 tables with 1 field each.
    I'll tinker more, and thanks again!

Remove Ads