Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've created a transaction_info table with the following columns

transaction_order
    username_from
    username_to
    date
    amount

as well as some other columns, but this will suffice for my question. When a user logs in to view their transactions I use the query

SELECT * FROM transaction_info WHERE username_from='$username' OR username_to='$username' ORDER BY transaction_order DESC;

I then generate an HTML table with columns

description
    date
    amount
    new_balance

the description column is made up of "From " . $row['username_from'] or "To " . $row['username_to'] depending on which one contained the

username that didn't match $username. I comb through the array with PHP to determine this. But I want the user to be able to click on a sort

arrow and sort their descriptions alphabetically. Because 'description' is made from two mysql columns, I don't know how to use ORDER BY to

accomplish this. Instead I've resorted to loading the whole thing into a two-dimensional array, sorting the array, then printing it to the

HTML table. The code is monstrous. Is there a more direct mysql command that would accomplish the same thing?

Member #
    If I understand you correctly, what you could do is order by 3 columns.

Something like

Code:
    SELECT * FROM transaction_info WHERE username_from='$username' OR username_to='$username' 
    ORDER BY transaction_order,username_from,username_to DESC;

Remove Ads