Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: MySQL Newby.

Member #
    Hi, I am currently reading PHP - Fast & Easy Web Development (2nd edition) and I am trying to follow the author as he sets up user privileges in MySQL. I am running MySQL 4.0.13 on IIS 5.1 (running windows xp professional.) I have already installed PHP 4.3.2. PHP is working correctly. Now, when I goto the 'MYSQL>' prompt, I type the following(exactly from the book,)

use myql;

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO spike@localhost IDENTIFIED BY "9sj7En4";

When I type the grant request, It returns the following error:

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user '@localhost' (Using password: no)

I dont understand. The examples in the book are going to be using this user for some php/mysql stuff. Any Idea's What this means, and/or how I can get it to accept that user? This is exactly what the book says to type.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    well, it looks like you're loggin in under no name user. Log in under root... initially it should be no password, username:root... but it can be wildly different depending on how you've set up MySQL... heh, ironic thing, you're lacking privleges to setup the priveleges you need
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I appreciate the help. however, brand new newby here. I have searched mysql.com, however the language is too techy. How do I login as user? Remember Im using mysql on IIS 5.1. i tired 'mysql root' but didnt work. what and where do I login as root? Thanks for your help.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yeah...

My best reccomendation would be to download phpMyAdmin it's becoming THE standard mysql gui at this point. I thin kit's www.phpmyadmin.net , it'll do everything you want/need with a nice explinatory interface... all at the cost of running a webpage.

All you need to do is read the readme, change a few variables in a file and you'll be setup.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Here's how you log in:
    Code:
    CONNECT username/password;

Member #
    Appreciate All Your HELP! I just ended up setting up PHPMyAdmin. It was a breeze to setup. I actually have a computer here setup as a server so I can play with PHP/MySQL. I have used PHPMyAdmin before in the past and still use it for my website. Again, I do thank you all for all your assistence! Have a good one!

Remove Ads