Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ASP and MySQL?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi there. One of my employees just asked me if ASP worked with MySQL at all, and since I have absolutely no idea (having never used MySQL), I figured I'd ask all you wonderful people and anxiously await the answer. Thanks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    $50 says it can, searching.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I know nothing about ASP but this looks promising: http://www.devarticles.com/art/1/50

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes it can. For the stats(counter-strike) program we were running at school MySQL was WAY faster than anything else when working with ASP. The other DB's just couldn't handle keeping track of so many shots fired and such without slowing the server down to a crawl... ASP & MySQL IMO is the best solution when using ASP (for the price of course...)
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Gracias, mis hermanos. I didn't know MySQL was that stable and reliable.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well to make up for all that it's relatively featureless, even MySQL 4. However it's uber-fast.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    MySQL is not nearly as fast as MS-SQL (much less Oracle).

The reason it works faster for most is that they don't know proper optimization of tables / queries making use of stored procedures, row-locking, and clustered indexing, just because those options aren't available for MySQL.

As for ASP working with MySQL, it has nothing to do with ASP. ASP, as you know, uses ADO to connect to databases via OLEDB and ODBC. OLEDB is the native uber-fast connectivity that ASP uses for MS-SQL (it also supports Oracle et.al. for ASP.NET).

ODBC will support just about any database you can think of, including text files. ODBC is slower, because it has to load a connection info file on the server and create a connection through that, rather than using a native OS connection.

If you're connecting to both MS-SQL and MySQL through ODBC, obviously both will be slower, but MS-SQL through OLE will BLOW IT AWAY !!! (I'm talking many times as fast).

That's just from my experience.

Oh, also, if you're planning on installing MySQL on a windows box, don't do it !!! The Windows version of MySQL is known to be buggy.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't install anything. That's why God invented web hosting.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Transio... I was more referring to the game putting information in... not ASP. All the ASP did was display stats, number crunch, etc. The real work load was in the Java program that collected inforrmation real-time and wrote to the database. Now, granted, we're not experts, but we DID try MS-SQL, and it was about twice as slow as MySQL. Also since we were only borrowing MS-SQL, MySQL was much better since it was free.

BTW I've been using MySQL on my windows box for testing for like... a year (upgrades of course) and never run into a problem. When did you have any problems with MySQL?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by transio
    MySQL is not nearly as fast as MS-SQL (much less Oracle).
    But it's free :bandit:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads