Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

Im creating a site that is fully updateable by the client. Im wondering about storing the content of the site in a DB.

If I store the site content (all the text for the site) in the DB is it going to cause any issues as everytime a user opens a page then it will create an SQL connection so that it can find the content to display on the page. This could be a problem if I have thousands of users on the site at the same time as I believe that you can only have around 128 connections at once and there will be one created for every user. Would this be an issue atall or does the connection happen so quickly that it would be highly unlikely that too many users access the site at exactly the same time?

A way I've thought of getting round this is to have one connection the first time the user connects to the site and with that connection write all the content for the different pages to individual session variables and then have these populate the pages. Will this throw up more issues?

I could also just store this content in txt files so the site didnt need to bother with any un-nescessary MySQL connections

Any help would be appreciated

Member #
    Well, if you do it right the connections should only be reserved for that query for a fraction of a second.

So unless you are getting 128 connections per fraction of a second (at which point you should be able to afford better hosting, which you can manage your from your yacht and your private jet) you should be fine.

The key is testing that query in sql browser first, making sure it runs in a fraction of a second. If it's taking longer than that, you probably don't have a well designed db or you'll need some help designing more efficient queries.

Good luck.
    Win.ly: A scientific/statistical approach to win prizes online.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks mate, thats all I needed to know. Im only just starting out in MySQl so just abit unfamiliar with what its doing.

Remove Ads