Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

Currently my website is a) messy (in terms of code/validation etc) b) big (1500 pages) and c) slow to update, because of that. So in order to sort out that, I know I need to first drive my site by a database of somesort, because I'm not going to manually change 1500 pages. Now i know it's hard to come in and understand someone elses site, so I'll try and put it simply what I have, and what I'd like:

What I have:
    - The main part of the site is about the live history of the band Foo Fighters.
    - At the moment, I have a single page for each year, detailing just the shows. Example.
    - Clicking the individual show link will give you the data for that show. Example.
    This is where all the pages come in, there is one page, manually changed/updated for each and every show. It is currently 1,052.
    - Each page has the following information: Setlist, Recordings, Notes, Other Performers, Photos, as seen above, but not all shows have/need all the headings.
    - All of the data in those pages are manually added/edited, apart from the photos, which when the 'click here' link is clicked, are generated by a PHP photo generator created by a friend, and given to me. They are always displayed on one page, here, and the photos are called up by the variable at the end of the link.

What I'd like:
    - I'm happy to keep the show lists manually done as that isn't much work, but I want the individual pages for each show database driven somehow. So all the data for all the shows is stored in a table, which is then pulled up as requested when clicking the link, similar to the photo generator I already have. That way I have one table, and one page, and the table can just be updated, which will automatically update the page generated.

So, how would I achieve that, could I (someone with limited HTML and PHP knowledge) do it? I've been looking up MySQL databases all afternoon, even followed a tutorial about creating them, adding tables, adding data and calling that in a page, but got pretty lost. I could see how it would be easy if your data was simple like DATE | NUMBER | LETTER | WORD for each entry, or the example the tutorial was giving as userID, username, password, email address, but as you can see by the individual pages, there is more to each entry than that. How would that work in a table?

I think this is all going to be too much for me to be honest, but I can't afford to pay anyone to do it. It seems to be quite similar to MS Access which I'm quite good with, but minus the shiny GUI and with added web elements.

Thanks if you're still reading, and thanks if you can offer any advice where I can start looking to learn this.

Member #
    Let's start with the tools you're using.

Do you have Enterprise Manager? That might help coming from Access.
    Win.ly: A scientific/statistical approach to win prizes online.

Remove Ads