Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I was talking to a friend earlier, and they said that if you do a query on 300,000 entries on both databases, mySQL will take about 4 min, while Oracle will take only about 2 seconds.

Does anyone know if this is true and/or why this is true / false?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That is false.

Oracle is a complete database solution while MySQL is a very basic but EXTREMELY fast database. They're two entirely different things and should be considered for the application they're being used in.

Also, personally I've run queries on a MySQL db with about 800k records and it NEVER takes 4 mn... I think 30sec was our max and this was on a crappy machine with a complicated query.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Well.... having used BOTH in extreme situations (millions of records with complex joins), I can add a little to this.

MySQL is fast for straight queries. Throw a join into the mix and it's slower. Throw a multi-dimensional join in, and you're dead meat. it could easily peg you down to 4 minutes. I could run a query on MySQL for 300,000 records that would take over an hour (a row-inequality self-hash, for example)

Oracle, with sub-select capabilities and stored procedures for compiled, optimized queries, and clustered indexing for faster joins on indexes is an incredible difference (for someone who knows how to use it). Its downside is that it's very difficult to learn. If you do learn it, though, you can VERY feasibly turn a 4 minute MySQL query into a 2 second procedure.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The bottom line is that MySQL is fine for straight querying.

When you want to get into complex queries or reporting, though... start thinking about Oracle or MS-SQL.

Remove Ads