Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm with Godaddy. They give you 10 MySQL Databases. The Problem is, I'm running out.
    I have PHP Scripts for Forums, Link Directories, FAQ's, Etc.
    Now, All are in a Different Folder (They have their Own)
    ie
    www.affiliatenetworksite.com/forum
    www.affiliatenetworksite.com/directory
    www.affiliatenetworksite.com/faq
    and So On.
    My Question is this.
    Can you have Different PHP Scripts, such as the FAQ and the Forum under 1 MySQL Database? In the Database, they have different Prefix Table Names.
    The FAQ all starts with faq, like, faquser.php faqlogin.php faqadmin.php faqpasswords.php
    and the Forum is forum, forumuser.php forumlogin.php forumadmin.php forumpasswords.php
    Would there be a Conflict or Database overload?
    I COULD Experiment, but then that would take a lot of time and effort to have it not work out.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Most apps allow you to configure a prefix for your table names. For example drupal tables could be named like "drupal_tablename", vbulletin could be "vb_tablename", wordpress could be "wp_tablename".

Look into the documentation for each and see if they allow prefixing. If they do, you CAN use a single database without conflicts.

HOWEVER, I STRONGLY advise against this approach. It's very bad development style and can lead to many problems down the road, even if you don't have conflicting table names. If the problem is cost, go with a host like HostGator who allows unlimited # of databases per account.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, they do Allow prefixing, but wasn't for sure if there would still be a problem. But yea, your right, if something happens to 1 of the Php Scripts, it would be hell to do backups, restores, and so on. would be more problem than what it's worth.

Ok, thanks.

Remove Ads