Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I have a client for a Non Profit that I've done work for, and now they want a redesign of their current site - connected to Raisers Edge.

I've been doing some preliminary research, and apparently, this inst exactly easy...

Does anyone here have any experience with raisers edge, or can point me to a valuable resource?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    What is it exactly that you are looking for - what do you need to do?
    How is your client connected to Raiser's Edge?
    Are you being asked to redesign a site that looks like Raiser's Edge?
    Are you bring asked to redesign a site that is integrated with a service from Raiser's Edge, and already using RE modules etc?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Honestly Alpha, I know how frustrating it is for you to answer a question like this, especially since I can't answer most of those at this time.

They currently have a website in some random private CMS (that blows) and want a website redesign in either WordPress (they prefer) or Joomla. Not a problem. They also want the site to be integrated with their Raisers Edge database if possible.

Their database contains over 1900 volunteers.

Here is a more elaborate story.

Their current site is using a pseudo database. By this i mean the site is connected to a normal mySQL database that their 'tech' guy is MANUALLY inputting all the information into using PHPmyAdmin! The way it works currently is the 'team leader' for a volunteer workshop logs onto the site after the workshop and fills out a form, which sends an email to the tech support for the foundation. Tech support then manually inputs the fields onto both the websites mySQL and then into the main raisers edge database. Stupid and time consuming.

I can easily automate inputting the information into MySQL, but as of yet, I haven't been able to find a way to connect to Raisers edge directly from a website. I want to bypass MySQL and just connect to Raisers Edge directly, removing the need for the foundation's tech support to have to do ANY database entry. Apparently, this is borderline impossible.

I just had a conversation with them, and suggested that I build the site in WordPress or Joomla, and instead of using an email contact form, just have the information inputted directly into the mySQL database. They can then just do a quick export /import to get the information into Raisers Edge. Far from a perfect solution, but far better than what they currently have!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Can MySQL export to Raiser's Edge (I wouldn't know because I've never used the software)? If not, you may want to look at writing directly to a CSV or other format instead.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I doubt it can export directly into it, but i was thinking of just exporting into CSV.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, if that's the case, you might as well just go straight to the CSV file(s) and let them download/import as needed. You could, if you're feeling really sick and twisted, write them to both the CSV and the MySQL database. Yes, it's redundant, but 1) you're sure you've got a copy and 2) you may have a Joomla-related use for the data down the road.

I've actually done this before where I've written things to CSVs and to databases because some people wanted a CSV, some wanted a database, and I didn't want the overhead of generating CSVs on the fly. I've only done it a couple of times, though.
    Harmonic likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Raiser's Edge runs off of a database powered by MS-SQL or Oracle (usually MS-SQL). You can decipher their database and build some custom code into the website that will read and write to specific tables in that DB, which will be the most direct form of integration possible. It's not difficult, but will be a lot of work. The main problem you'll face is if they're running RE off a local server and their website off a hosted space. Ideally, both solutions should run on the same network if they're going to be integrated. Could add a lot of unnecessary cost and IT burden.

CSV export / import could be an alternative solution... not ideal, but it's something. Look into DTS for the import bit.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 202555
    The main problem you'll face is if they're running RE off a local server and their website off a hosted space. Ideally, both solutions should run on the same network if they're going to be integrated. Could add a lot of unnecessary cost and IT burden.

CSV export / import could be an alternative solution... not ideal, but it's something. Look into DTS for the import bit.
    This is a problem though. I find out last night that apparently the database is hosted on blackbauds servers! It looks like the best solution is to export as CSV. Thanks for everyones help so far!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No problem. In a weird way, I'm just sorry I'm right.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonic, post: 202515
    I have a client for a Non Profit that I've done work for, and now they want a redesign of their current site - connected to Raisers Edge.

I've been doing some preliminary research, and apparently, this inst exactly easy...

Does anyone here have any experience with raisers edge, or can point me to a valuable resource?
    The Raiser's Edge (nowadays at least) only runs off of MS SQL Server. However you are not able to write to the database directly as it will invalidated your maintenance agreement. Blackbaud do have an API but it is not web friendly. The application is very much a client server application. I have created webservices that all CMS applications to connect and write via their API but RE should not be relied upon to have the same uptime as a webserver so I would recommend against realtime integration unless you have a mechansim to allow for RE being offline.

The most common type of integration is a CSV based import of data. This is especially true for smaller organisations that would not have the budget for a more sophisticated integration. There are third party suppliers such as ourselves who supply plug-ins to The Raiser's Edge to ease the importing of data into RE. RE has its own import module but you will need to supply the unique id of existing donors in order to update records (rather than simply creating duplicates).

Thanks

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads