Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,
    not sure of the best way to word this so please stick with me.

I've developed sites in the past for Co.s i've worked for. We have had a SQL server that talks to our in house Web server and the various tables of that SQL server are maintained via a access front end by the many Data inputters so all is well and good.

Now however i'd like my own dynamic web site. I have a GoDaddy acct hostign my current site. I had one before and they used to allow Access mdbs uploaded. I did this and had a form page that would update/add new records and it did the job but missed havign the convenience of just inputting the data from an Access front end.

I see GoDaddy no longer cater for Access, just MySQL and SQL server so i'm going to pick up on MySQL (at least it is free) but what i'd like to know is if it is possible to update a dynamic driven web site's Database using a Database of some sort, avoiding a web based form?
    If this feature is possible but not from goDaddy does anyone know of a Hostign Company that does allow this?

I would go the web based form if necessary but would love to know if it is possible from a Access front end to a MySQL Database on a Hosting site?

Thanks,
    Mitch.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sectorlink allows for Access DBs. I know this because I have a dedicated server with them and multiple clients with shared plans that run sites off of Access DBs.

When did GoDaddy stop allowing Access DB support?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you The Game.

Not sure about when GD ditched Access. They had it back in 2008 when I started using them so they lost it soemwhere around 2009/2010.

Will check out Sectorlink.

Thanks again, Mitch.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No probs, dude. Let me know how it goes.

But you can't even connect to an Access DB using the Jet database engine? That's really messed up.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Depends on the platform... but they still support it in the fact that it will run... looks like they just took the FAQ's and stripped them of the connection string references...etc...

2008 server will run them as long as the connection sting is correct ( but I believe they made it mandatory that the DB is not visible from the web , but on the same level as the root )... Think they are just trying to get away from them ... heard the next major server from them will not support them...

Remove Ads