Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I am creating a web site that will be used by a group of students. Hopefully, eventually, a very large number of students. Basically, they will be creating notes in this database. Each user will have his own set of subjects, topics, and notes. An amount of 10 to 100 notes in each topic and several topics in each subject. I had first thought after creating the users subject list, each subject would have it's on table of topics, and each topic would have its own table of notes. So, each topic table would have the name "username_subject_topic".

Would I be better off having one table with columns of "subject" and "topic" and just sort them out as they use them? They would only be pulling up one topic at a time. Not sure they all needed to be in the same table. But, I also hate having that many tables.

Not sure if I have given enough into or not. Please advise.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Personally I would create 4 tables based on what you are asking.

1. User table, that has all the standard user info ( set a user ID # )
    2. Subject
    3. Topic
    4. Notes ( where depending on the , subject, topic, user ) everything is written.

But that's me, for lookup, searching, maint. 1 table that holds the bulk of the information is much easier to search, filter, etc.

Just my opinion though.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    So, if there are 1,000 users, each with 1,000 notes, that would be 1,000,000 total notes. And more if I can get this to grow even larger. Would that not get too unorganized?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not in my world,

One of the smaller smaller DB's I manage has 100+ tables with 14m records from over the past 8 years.

One similar to yours I use for a help desk, 4 tables, 360k records.

I have an area lookup table, a type lookup table, admin user table, and the main table where everything is entered ( referencing type and area ) when a user submits an issue.

Makes pulling queries base on date, area, type a whole lot easier than trying to pull the same type of data from multiple tables. I've had to add flags to the records overtime, only having to set one more column on 1 table has made it a lot easier to manage.

Again, just my preference.

Remove Ads