Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I've been working on a website that uses a database for a search engine. The website is for my school, but I have to use my own database from 000webhost. When I uploaded the website too the school's server, I got this error:

[SIZE=16px]Warning[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql8.000webhost.com' (10060) in [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=16px]F:\web\www\ms\techtidbits\db.inc.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px] on line [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=16px]8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]: mysql_select_db(): Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]: mysql_select_db(): A link to the server could not be established in [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]9[/SIZE]
    The website works just fine on my 000webhost account version of the website. The school's security systems may be blocking the connection, but I don't know for sure.

suggestions?

The website also takes a VERY long time to load and it is distorted on the school's server, but not on my 000webhost account. Could this be from the errors above?

School version of the website: http://www.madison.kyschools.us/ms/t...bits/index.php
    (The "Home" button will take your to the old design of the website. So to access the main page, you will have to use the URL above.)

000webhost version: http://www.my-testing-area.netne.net/tech_tidbits2/
    (All links work on this version.)
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Maybe because it's on a different domain?
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, so [SIZE=16px]mysql8.000webhost.com obviously only allows local connections.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]You have to dump the database from 000webhost and then import it into your school server.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]Then, change your connection settings to reference the new local database instead of the 000webhost database.[/SIZE]

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Moved to Database forum.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    The school won't let me do that because I would have to have full access to the database. Are there any web hosts that will allow me too connect outside of a local connection?
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    They do that for security concerns... The schools district where I live has their own server for their web sites as well as their own MySql db server.

I don't think you will find a free host that will allow outside connections.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 224253
    I don't think you will find a free host that will allow outside connections.
    Will a paid web host do this?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    ON a paid webhost, you could recreate your site and run it live. You'd need a domain name.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    The actual website will be on the school's server. I need to grab the information from the databases externally.

Will a paid web host allow me to do that?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    That makes no sense at all.... but if you must, just go with a VPS service to run your MySQL server... of course, you'll have to configure it so that it only allows connections from the School's website IP address, for security reasons. This is not a standard or suggested configuration, so if you get the security config wrong, "hackers" can easily gain control of your DB and put whatever content they want on the website. I would strongly suggest that the school reconsider. Give them the SQL script required for the DB setup, and have them create a unique username/password for the website to gain access. Then the DBA maintains control over the DB and doesn't F- up the school's security in the process.

Remove Ads