Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

On my hosting account the database is hosted on a seperate server, Im thinking this could slow things down and maybe suffer from connection problems.

Do you think its important to have the database on the same server?

The application I'll be running on this wont be such a high volume site but every process of it requires a database connection

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's nice, but not necessary. It "can" slow things down, but as long as you're in the same network you're generally okay. When I got my first dedicated server, the database server was separate, but within the same network.

Your slowdowns/network connectivity issues (the bigger problem) occur more often when your database server is outside of the network and you don't have a stable connection to it. But that can easily enough be overcome.

Look at it this way...all the freelancer sites such as oDesk have some form of a timekeeper app and the app requires at least an intermittent database connection. If they can do it, then you should be good to go too.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks mate,

I thought it would be ok but had a few issues with it in the past with one of my hosts but they were terrible at everything anyway so they probably had it setup wrong, had another host for 1 client which was on the same server and the difference was incredible, well no connection errors atall obviously.

I think my new host is abit more competant (final last words) so fingers crossed it'l be ok

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's usually what it boils down to...it's not the concept of the setup, it's the competence of those executing the setup.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads